Reel Spool Design ?? Fat or Skinny?

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Years ago when I was a kid, I had a spinning reel with a spool that was short, fat, flat and wide. Then reel manufacturers came out with advertising that said that longer narrower spools were better, cast further, less line twist, etc.

Until now. I recently saw an ad from U.S.Reel and their SX 230/240 line of reels that claims their large diameter spools enable their reels to outcast ordinary reels by a wide margin. Right now, all my other reels (Shimano's, Penns, and some others) all have tall, narrow spools.

So, the question is...what's the truth?
Short and fat or tall and skinny?

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Reel Spool Design ?? Fat or Skinny?

Wow, sad. This post has been up for over a week, 26 members, most of whom I'd guess were decent fishermen, have read this post and no one has an opinion of what reel style works better for them. :confused:

All you need to know is PENN number 9 for salt water (pier fishing) and a zepco 33 for lakes..OLD SCHOOL.

amp1

Recruit

amp1 again. The best reel I have bought is the Daiwa SOL 3000 you can't go wrong with this reel it runs $199.00 and worth every Pennie. When you start fishing with braid line this reel is great because it almost totally eliminates wind knots due to the roller barring.:D

paintitup12

Petty Officer 3rd Class

to me it doesnt matter watever i get works usually if u cant reach something u put a heavier wieght i dont really think there is to much of a difference that truly matters