Reeds

cmclark

Cadet
I was wondering if I should replace my reeds. I have a problem with my M60B not coming up to full power. It ran fine last year, sat for a few months and now I have this problem.

I have been checking everything that has been suggested on this site (fuel lines, carbs, spark, compression, etc...). I am currently awaiting parts. During this process I pulled the reeds to check them. They look fine, however a couple fo them have maybe a half milimeter gap. They are not totally seated. Is this a problem or is it normal? None of them are cracked or chipped.

Thanks.

cmclark

Cadet
Re: Reeds

That's abnormal.

I finally got the reeds. I installed them and I still am not sure if they are right. I was under the impression that you should not be able to see any light through the reed block when the reeds were seated. These boyesen reeds do not lay perfectly flat onthe block. There is no obstruction, but I do not see that they have a seal.

What am I missing?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

"What am I missing?"

That they are not fitting.

If there is clearance between the reed and the block then then they are not sealing...Ergo they don't fit. They might be the wrong ones or defective, but that's a problem.

cmclark

Cadet

"What am I missing?"

That they are not fitting.

If there is clearance between the reed and the block then then they are not sealing...Ergo they don't fit. They might be the wrong ones or defective, but that's a problem.

Well Boyesen is telling me that the reeds can have up to 0.020" clearance...anyway, I got that worked out. The motor is running better than ever.

On another note, the float bowls are leaking. They have new seals and the mating surfaces seem fine. Am I supposed to use some type of sealant with the new o-rings?

What sealant would I use?

Thanks.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Boyesen knows their product a lot better than I do. If the gap is normal for them then there you are. That might be why engines equipped with them have such a rough idle. You can use virtually any sealant that doesn't breakdown when exposed to petroleum products...But, they shouldn't be leaking. We never use any sealant at all.