Reduce dependence on foreign oil......

RC

Petty Officer 1st Class
SLOW DOWN! <br /><br />I'm not an SUV basher cause I own one. But why is it when I'm on the freeway if someone is going to pass me going 80 or 90 mph it is likely to be an Escalade, or Yukon, or Tahoe, or Expedition, or Suburban.....What would happen to the demand of gas if we all stayed within 70mph?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Reduce dependence on foreign oil......

Probably not much, DeltaR.<br /><br />I have tried it and I have to drop below 60 before my trip computer registers any increase in MPG. Then I am at risk of causing gridlock. . .very dangerous. My ML is pretty slick as far as drag goes, but I almost never exceed +5 or +10, so 75-80 is the limit.<br /><br />Other, higher drag and/or heavier machines might perform differently, particularly at speeds over 80.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I guess I have been doing it on my own but I have slowed all my travel by 5 mph when possible without causing problems. I would rather be blown off the road by a full size SUV then by some maniac in a mini SUV trying to keep up!<br /><br />It's not our dependence on foreign oil it is our dependence on oil period.<br /><br />The people in the bigger SUV's who are doing 80-90 can afford to do so. Higher gas prices did not slow them down nor has it hurt the SUV sales in the Chevrolet Dealership where I work.

ZmOz

Captain

Newer vehicles are very efficient at high speeds. That's what they're designed to do. In my Cherokee the difference between 55 and 85 is about 1mpg. In my pickup on the other hand, I'd be surprised if it got more than 2mpg TOTAL at 85mph. People driving Escalades couldn't care less about a couple MPG.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I very seldom travel roads where the speed limit is above 55. Most are 40MPH so slowing down is not much of an option. <br /><br />I have become more cognizant of my use of the accelerator in traffic, stop signs, traffic lights, etc. <br /><br />But to be honest, it's a matter of personal economics rather than concern over dependence on foreign oil. Just don't want to buy any more of that precious $3.xx gasoline than I have to.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

if everybody cut consumption by 1%, on average, how much demand reduction is that nationwide? anyone?

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> if everybody cut consumption by 1%, on average, how much demand reduction is that nationwide? anyone?
The US burns approximately 21,930,000 barrels per day according to google. A 1% reduction would only be 219,300 barrels. A drop in the ocean. And even a 1% reduction won't happen until we start having shortages...

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> if everybody cut consumption by 1%, on average, how much demand reduction is that nationwide? anyone?
1% or is this a trick question. <br /><br />Are you differentiating consumption from demand? The term "demand" has a much different meaning in the energy world than usually interperted.

NathanY

Commander

You see it is very simple. If we go over there and just start bombing the crap out of them with everything we got, nukes included, and take out all opposition, then we could steal the oil. Then it would not be foreign oil, it would be our oil. :D

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Not a trick question, boatbuoy, a drop in consumption would logically reduce demand in the economic sense but I don't know about the petrochemical jargon.<br /><br />Nate, how about we just overrun Mexico...don't they have plenty of oil? But if you conquer another nation, I don't think it's "stealing" 'cause it's not theirs anymore.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

We will never reduce foreign oil dependece. Mid East oil is cheap to refine, cheap to drill, and very plentiful.<br /><br />If we reduce demand, we will only reduce USA production. We will always use Mid East oil first.<br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

We've been having the same discussion since 1973. It's sort of like the illegal alien discussion. It's relevant, but nobody really cares.<br /><br />If WE cared we'd be using our own oil, of which there is allot of, and we would have built more refineries.<br /><br />If we were using our OWN oil, there may have been allot more research into alternatives.

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

JB-you don't actually think that MPG computer works do you?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> We've been having the same discussion since 1973. It's sort of like the illegal alien discussion. It's relevant, but nobody really cares.<br /><br />
Well I care.<br />Its those dang Plutonians and Martians that are ruining this planet. !! :eek: :D

rwise

Captain

It's really simple, Mr. president put our oil men back to work!!! More jobs, more income, economic growth, ok PETA, Greenpeace, what ever lay down and shut up! I have walked through many of the oil fields here in OK and most are not running. My parents have an interest in an oil field, the well sets there at 600-1000psi head pressure with the valve closed, I have opened the valve and set it on fire (the crud that is) right there!<br /><br />When the oil men are back to work then start REALLY looking into alternatives!<br /><br />We can stand own our own!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I'm thinking about trading in the Town Car for this....
sm_image12_lrg.jpg
<br /><br />
sm_image17_lrg.jpg
<br /><br />If I'm going to save gas, I might as well enjoy it!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yo, River.<br /><br />Yes the mpg calculations of my trip computer are accurate. It calculates current mpg in real time and cumulative mpg since last reset.<br /><br />One of the first things I did when I got the truck was get out the calculator and audit it.

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi JB, I'm surprised. It should show a significant real time change between 55MPH and 75.

dolluper

Captain

Yeah and don't forget Canada is one of your foreign supplier's. "Conserve now" I need gas for my boats :D :D