red skies at night saying??

coastiegirl

Cadet
ok how does the saying go??? is it red skies at night sailors delight and red skies in the morning sailors warning. do I have it right??

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: red skies at night saying??

You have it close enough, Coastiegirl. the old saying: <br />Red sky at night, Sailor's delight.<br />Red sky at morning, Sailor take warning!<br /><br />alludes to weather forecasting.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB :)

coastiegirl

Cadet

thanks i grew up on a sailboat and my mom used to say it. i knew it had to do with the weather and i still go by it i just didnt think i was saying it right. thanks for making sure. :)

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

Coastiegirl why! Our weather comes from the west usually, so if you see the setting sun the approaching wx is good. But in the morning if the east is clear and overhead is cloudy the approaching wx mass is over cast an could get worse.

Gerard Kohler

Recruit

Got it right the first time, Many of these old sailor sayings and STUPIDSTITIONS Were brought about by the sailors of old and are based on hard found experiance.It's like never cange the name of your boat.Reason is, a vessel coming in from a long trip to the Americas would have a change over crew so that the vessel could return soonest. But the crew would not read of their old ships arrival in the papers.