Red Flashing Light's-Beat the Gates

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
Friday night it was nice out and after supper I had to go to the Connecticut Electric Railway Musuem in the next town over from were I live, I am a member and one of the benifits is free trolley rides for the family. They have a large collection of vintage operating trolleys and what is unique is that it runs on the orginal right of way from 1895 and it make 2 crossing at grade with public roads. On one of the return trips that night we appoached the first crossings the lights and the bell went of and you have appox. 30 seconds to stop BEFORE the gates come down well this guy decides to try to beat the trolley weighing in at 47000 lbs doing 30mph. The gate came down on the roof of the car just behide the windshield and scratched the car big time from the roof to the trunk and smashed out the back window and was nearly hit at the crossing. The motorman got the trolley stopped approx. 100 ft past the crossing, they told the guy to go to the museum office for us. The police was called by the guy to investagate what happened and he ended up getting several tickets. The museum has never had a accident since the were first opened in 1946,you see the Red Flashing Lights stop dont fool around........

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Red Flashing Light's-Beat the Gates

Cool deal... I'm a bit of a railroad fan myself... <br /><br />As cool as steam powered locos are, Trolleys are about the coolest!... :D <br /><br />Shame on the dumbass crossing gate runner... :eek: Looks like he got his.. ;)