rectifier wiriing issue

curtisimo1981

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 89 mercury 80hp, i have a charging problem. did some tests all points to rectifier. on mine i have 3 post the outer two have one yellow coming from stator and then one yellow going to voltage regulator. then i have a grey one in the middle. is it suposed to have one coming from the stator and one going to the voltage regulator on the same post? all the diagram for my motor shows is the yellows comming from the stator going to the two outside post and one red wire in the middle going to the sylonoid please help

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Re: rectifier wiriing issue

I wasn't aware the 89 80hp had a 16 amp stator and it probably doesn't. My guess is the stator was replaced and wasn't replaced with a 9 amp stator but rather a 16 amp and hence the need for a regulator...this you will not find in the wiring diagram.

curtisimo1981

Seaman Apprentice
Re: rectifier wiriing issue

andy6374 said:
I wasn't aware the 89 80hp had a 16 amp stator and it probably doesn't. My guess is the stator was replaced and wasn't replaced with a 9 amp stator but rather a 16 amp and hence the need for a regulator...this you will not find in the wiring diagram.

well reguardless if it had it or not i still need to know how to wire it properly. i just cant understand if the rectifier converts ac to dc how are ac wires on the same post as the ones going to the voltage regulator. but as far as your statement you can go here and it shows everything exactly as my motor is with a regulator and all http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...&isForSupStore=false&cCatFilter=&eCatSupFldr= any help will be greatly appreciated