Rectifier swap out? Rectifier Specs? 80's 200HP evinrude

surphrat420

Seaman Apprentice
I have two motors i have frankenstiened into one.<br />The first part of the NEW motor is the long shaft 1986 johnson 200hp, and the second ,the top end off a 1979 evinrude 200. MY qeustion is the recifier melted, its the three wire model the "tri-angle with the can". The other rectifier on the OTHER motor (the 1986 200hp) which has a hole in the block, has the 5 wire model regulator/rectifier combo I believe. MY question is can I replace the three wire recifier with the newer rectifier/regulator using just the three wires on the new one (red, and two yellows)<br />I have read my SELOC maual over and over and i cant find the specs on either of the rectifiers so im not sure how to test if the two are the same (even though the original three wire rectifier is melted i doubt i can compare the two now)<br /><br />Any help?<br />Sitting, not charging,<br />surphrat

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rectifier swap out? Rectifier Specs? 80's 200HP evinrude

Are you sure you have a 1986 200? Thats a looper and theres not much in common (powerhead-wise) with the 79 150 crossflow. <br /><br />Yes, you can use a water cooled reg / rec on the crossflow but one from a looper will not fit.

surphrat420

Seaman Apprentice

well not sure, i dont think it a looper what ever that refers to, I do know the heads are VERY alike almost identical except for the electronics.<br />the newer motor head (the one thats blown) was a johnson, it looks exactly like the old one with a few exceptions ie. choke set-up, slightly differnt carb linkage.<br /><br />does this help i belivew my answer is as long as my motor is NOT a looper the newer combo sytle regulator /rectifier should work ok with just the three wires connected. Correct? i ve read that the water cooled model is a 35 amps. and the air cooled is 6 amps will this differnce harm anything? and i belive the stator should be able to supply the correct voltage becasue the stator im using now is off the NEWER motor that has the GOOD rectifier/regulator combo.<br /><br />\thankx for the fast reply<br /><br />surphrat

surphrat420

Seaman Apprentice

well thats a good one!<br />I ve just noticed that the stator sawp i did about 10 weekends of wakeboarding ago, aparently may have been a 15 amp stator instead of the 9 amp stator that was originaly on the motor. Maybe thats what fried my rectifier?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yes, if the water cooled reg / rec fits -- it'll work as long as its not blown too. <br /><br />It sounds like both are crossflow powerheads from your carb and linkage discription. Keep us informed.<br /><br />Good luck!

surphrat420

Seaman Apprentice

well after metering the stator in use right now it reads .7ohms so i guess that is the original one after all, my next question would be, Does the 35 amp water cooled reg/rec work with the 9 amp stator taht i belive to be on there due to the .7 reading. or should i up it to the stator sitting on my self that messures .4ohms ?<br /><br />if so do i need to wire in the regulator side?