Recovering Seat ?

hjsmith00843

Cadet
I will be covering the seats in my sunbird 160. How much vinyl will it take for the front seats and the rear seats? Not going to tackle the captians chairs myself. I ordered 20 yards of material.

etracer68

Ensign
Re: Recovering Seat ?

I dont have a Sunbird, but I would think a Tape Measure would do the trick.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

20 yards of fabric would be enough material to recover an entire sofa and loveseat our of your home, so you are going to have enough left over to make a mooring cover if you want to. :D

I can tell you how much you need if you provide the dimensions of the seats you're covering.

Repost with dimensions and maybe a pic of the seats and I can tell you how/where to start.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I haven't done any boat seats but I may have done a few chairs. The math is simple. Assume a more or less square seat for this example.

The surface area of the seat plus the the rise (edges) on all four sides plus 6" ( maybe just 4" if your grip is still good) more on all 4 sides, some of which will be trimmed away after stapling. A 16x16 seat with a 4" rise all around would take a piece 16+4+4+12 or 36x36. One yard per seat assuming there is no pattern match (repeat) to contend with.

Haven't done vinyl but with dinning chairs leaving the old fabric on (1 layer only) makes it far easier for me to get a good stretch.

Gpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just did the front and rear seats in my Sunbird Corsica 175. 5 yards of white and 3 yards of red did the job with plenty left over for new projects.