Recommendations - Lake City, Mn to Winona

redblur

Seaman Apprentice
Heading over to the river this weekend. I've only been there once, last year when we went north from Lake City. This year we're heading south for a day trip. Any recommendations for places to tie up, eat and have a couple beers along the way?

How about other places to stop and see?

catfish123

Recruit
Re: Recommendations - Lake City, Mn to Winona

Redblur,

Sorry you didn't receive a response to your question.

I have never been on the Mississippi and was planning a trip to Lake City in 08. I'd be very interested to hear about your trip from last year, heading north out of the marina. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

jstormy

Cadet

Catfish123,
What type of info are you looking for? Day trips, camping on sand bars,marinas, lock info,longer cruises? We have spent alot of time on the river from twin cities to St, Loius over the last 20 years. We will be happy to share any info we can. Where are you from? What type of boating? Jstormy.

catfish123

Recruit

Jstormy,

Essentially looking for all of the above.

Planning to launch at the Lake City Marina and work my way north. I have a sea ray cruiser and was wanting to spend a week on the river combining marina stays and sandbar camping. I would be particularly interested in restaurants / bars and other sites and activities along the river between Lake City and Hastings.

Any info or tips would be genuinely appreciated. Thanks.

jstormy

Cadet

Catfish,
I havn't been on this forum for a while, sorry for the slow response. The first thing you need is a set of upper Miss nav charts, if you dont have one,these can be ordered from the US Corps of Engineers. Starting at Lake City you will be on Lake Peppin mile 773, this lake can get rough. I assume you have boated on rivers and know the bouys need to be followed, when going into a sand beach always go in perpendicular to the shore not running parallel up the shore, ( there may be rock wingdams under the surface) these are marked on the charts. Up river about 13 miles it looks more like a river,winds up to Red Wing at mile 791. Nice place to stop, there is a wood retaining wall that you can tie up to and walk through the park to the old downtown area or if you are up for a hike you can climb up Barn Bluff for a great view. Just a short way up on the right is a bar that can get lively on the weekends. Upstream about a half mile on the left is marina. Up from Red Wing 6 miles is lock #3, contact the lockmaster on channel 14 for lockage. There are alot of sandy spots to camp at along here, (watch out for poisin ivy).Mile 811 is Prescott, the St. Croix river runs in here,much cleaner water, this is a nice run up to Stillwater about 23 miles. Hope this helps for planning your cruise, we dont spend alot of time up in that area but have been there several times. If you have any do's/don't questions or anything else that I might be able to help with just ask. Right now we are trying to get info on the Tennesse river for a cruise in May from Chattanooga to Knoxville. Joel