Recommendations for computer user activity monitoring software, please

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
I find myself needing to monitor the computer usage of a teenager; any recommendations for a stealthy program that records instant message & email traffic & urls, and reports 'em in a user-friendly format?<br /><br />thanks,

matthews_jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Recommendations for computer user activity monitoring software, please

J Texas, If you would like to talk with me just let. I can call you if you wish. <br /><br />First, if you have a child that uses the internet for email and/or instant messaging I suggest you get some type of monitoring software. I put this on the home computer and did not tell anyone (even my wife at first). Some people think if you install the software and tell their child, the child will do no wrong because everything is being monitored. WRONG – They will just use their friend’s computer. As a parent I saw nothing wrong with monitoring my child’s actions at home.<br /> <br />I have used several different software packages and I preferred Spector Soft ( hot link below - http://www.spectorsoft.com). There are other makers of this type of software and I would recommend you checking out their web pages for detailed information.<br /><br />There are 2 features I wound suggest you make sure the software will accomplish.<br /><br />Record key strokes and screen snap shoots. The key stroke recorder will let you get passwords. You will be able to logon to the child’s email. I was able to read the email and then mark the email as being unread. Yahoo email lets you mark read email as unread. The key stroke recorder will log every key stroke – space bar, backspace, shift key, enter/return, etc. It can be hard to read without some editing. One thing the key stroke recorder will not do is let you see what is being sent to them if they are using something like Yahoo’s instant messaging. Software that will take snap shots of the screen will let you see what is being sent to your child. You will be able to see what they are seeing. You can vary the time between snap shots. I think I set it at 1 shot every 4 seconds. You should be able to set it for more or less shots.<br /><br />I software will load transparent and will not be displayed as running even in the task manager. You will have “hot keys” to activate the main menu. Each product will work different but the basics are the same.<br /><br /> Spector Software

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

Geesh, Im glad Computers werent as popular then as they are now.....I can understand wanting to know what your children are looking at but this sounds a little extreme...<br /><br />But to each their own.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Non-boating Tech topic.