Recommend a Marine GPS

HeadnSouth

Seaman
I'm located on Lake Lanier in Georgia and have in the past used a hand held GPS. It's since took a dump. :( I use it mostly for speed and helping find my way back especially at night.

I'd love something with a bit larger screen as my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. What would you recommend?

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Recommend a Marine GPS

That is an awful open question.
How big is the budget? $100? $2000?
Another handheld or a mounted unit? Do you also want sonar?
B&W or Color Display? Usable in an auto also?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

I like my Garmin. Can remember the model number I think it is a 530s. Pricey but I bought a refurbished one for about half.

IMG_20140330_111646_090.jpg

HeadnSouth

Seaman

Definitely a mounted unit, color would be nice <$500 Prefer $300 range. No sonar and no need for use in my truck. No need for a fish finder neither

Thx RN Joe I'll have a look.

I did find a Garmin 376 GPS on craiglist for $250. I'll see what the deal is with that.

Last edited:

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I prefer the Lowrance Elite 5 GPS chart plotter fish finder
I live in the DelMarVa area and the unit came with all the coastal maps of the U.S.
I also have the simulator for the unit so I can try out different routes using my computer before I even take my boat out.
You can download the simulator and try the unit out before you buy it.
The emulators are available in the Support section of the Lowrance website.

Another nice thing about the unit is that Lowrance puts out updates to the unit. The current update is 3.6
I have a Uniden MHS135DSC handheld VHF radio with GPS

Fed

Commander

You could put the Navionics app on your phone or better still a tablet if you've got one.
IMG_0101.jpg

HeadnSouth

Seaman

Picked up a Garmin just like RN Joe. A GPSMAP 536S. tried it out yesterday and so far I like it. Still need to mount the transducer. Very easy to use. Even the wifey was checking it out.

HeadnSouth

Seaman

After a little more use, I would have thought it would have had more detail on the charts. It shows marinas and major bodies of water. Smaller creeks, islands and points of land are nameless. :( Not sure with an upgraded map would help with this.

HeadnSouth

Seaman

Got Lakes Vision and it still doesn't show anymore detail then before. Talked to garmin tech support and a different Sd card (lake vu HD) may give me what I'm looking for. I've got it on order. If this doesn't work It'll all go back.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

let me know how it works. I don't have too much detail I'd need but like to see what it does for you

HeadnSouth

Seaman

let me know how it works. I don't have too much detail I'd need but like to see what it does for you

I tried it from my back yard and zoomed in on my lake. Disappointing to say the least. Still no point of land names nor islands. Major rivers are named. Lake Lanier was formed when the Chattahoochee river was dammed. It shows that. LOL The weather is rainy here and doubt I'll get out tomorrow. I'll try it on the lake before I return it.
:(

HeadnSouth

Seaman

Picked up Lowrance Elite 5 DSI today. More detail than the Garmin. I also picked up Lake maps Premium but haven't installed it yet. Not sure I would need the platinum. If anyone has some screen shots of the 2 I'd appreciate it.

Downloading an update from navionics right now, that maybe all I'll need.