Recomendations for my Johnson 200GT

kwerdal

Cadet
Hi all!

I have a 89 Gemini 200DCX 20 foot bass boat with a Johnson 200GT outboard on it, I currently have a pretty torn up prop on the boat, 14.25 x 26 Raker tach on the boat is messed up (works sometimes read about 1800 to high most the time) best I can tell WOT is about 5500 RPM at 54 MPH. I was told this boat would run 60 + but so far not even close. What would you recommend as a replacement prop I think I will have this prop redone but in the mean time I need a new one.

Thanks!

Kevin

kwerdal

Cadet
Re: Recomendations for my Johnson 200GT

Nothing?? best info I can find NADA says the boat was 1425 lbs new

dwco5051

Commander

The prop your are running could be the right one if it wasn't messed up. Don't know how many hours are on your engine but I suspect it is the same age as the boat. Only 6 mph off what you were told this boat could do new with a worn engine, hull that isn't as slick as it was new, and a damaged prop almost tells me just replacing the prop or having it reconditioned you could achieve 60.

Also check all the wiring connections on the engine wiring block that the rectifier/regulator connect to, be sure to check the one that connects to the gray wire. It is the sender for the tach. A loose or corroded terminal there or on the tach itself could cause the erratic operation.

kwerdal

Cadet

Great I will do that thanks! found a guy on Craiglist with a 24 pitch "Turbo" for $100 would fill the gap while I get mine reworked