Recoil Spring 73 Merc 200

Scotty Van

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all:<br /><br />I think my recoil spring broke today (out in the middle of the lake of course) and my trusty merc 200 will be a nice paper weight. My mechanic says he will have to find a salvaged spring and that could take a while if the spring is broken.<br /><br />The starter rope just pulled out while trying to start the motor. We re-attached the rope but there is no tension. The mechanic says that it probably won't just te-tension and the spring is shot.<br /><br />Opinions?<br /><br />Any leads on a spring?<br /><br />Thanks and happy 4th of July.<br /><br />I will go to my backup 69 merc 9.9 for now.<br /><br />(Hey will that spring fit?)<br /><br />Riley

Laddies

Banned
Re: Recoil Spring 73 Merc 200

Mercury #24-29340, NAPA,Auto Value, Carquist, iboats #18-6506, AP#13429, just for starters. You need a new parts man or mechanic--Bob

Scotty Van

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Bob:<br /><br />I will check into those parts numbers.<br /><br />You're sure they fit a '73?<br /><br />I must trust a Yooper of course.<br /><br />Riley

Laddies

Banned

Yup, not quite a Yooper about 30 miles a troll--Bob

Scotty Van

Seaman Apprentice

Bob<br /><br />Is there a way to retension the spring?<br /><br />When I replaced the pull rope, I noticed two pins, one for the pull rope and the other, longer pin I don't know where it came from. I wonder if it is from the recoil spring and fits into a insert flange near the dogs.<br /><br />If both pins fell out that may be the problem.<br /><br />The repair manual that I always use is safely tucked away in the library and it's not open on the 4th of July. <br /><br />I have seen from other posts on this site that the spring is a bit tricky.<br /><br />Any advice from the Master Mechanic from that other great place on a Great Lake?<br /><br />Riley

Laddies

Banned

Riley the only other pins I can think of in the starter are 1 or 2 that the rope goes under on it's turn on the wheel--Bob

Scotty Van

Seaman Apprentice

Bob:<br />We put one of the pins back into the rope like pictured here http://www.oldmercs.com/197073Merc200.htm <br />but the other, longer pin didn't seem to fit anywhere. Like I said, i will get the manual from the library and take another look.<br /><br />Hope you had a nice 4th but from the looks of the radar you had some heavy weather going your way.<br /><br />Riley