Recirculating pump ran dry

Bayliner1952

Seaman
So when I was running the boat in muffs, the hose snapped off the fitting and the boat ran dry for a bit. I'd say 3 mins tops.
I have replaced the water pickup in the outdrive. But I'm concerned about other damage to the recirc pump on the motor.
it's a 3.0lx alpha one gen 2

Bayliner1952

Seaman
Thanks for the reply.
Anything to check prior to firing her up?
I hope the seals in the lower unit didn't get too hot.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
without water for 3 minutes, the impeller is gone and the exhaust hose and shutters are burned

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Sounded like op replaced the impeller? Also need to check out the water pocket cover in the gear housing (where the copper tube from the impeller enters)

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Sounded like op replaced the impeller? Also need to check out the water pocket cover in the gear housing (where the copper tube from the impeller enters)

No need. There's no 'water pocket cover' in the Gen II. It's all part of the casting now. No damage to be done. (another reason I like the Gen II so much more... )

Chris.....

harringtondav

Commander
Thanks for the reply.
Anything to check prior to firing her up?
I hope the seals in the lower unit didn't get too hot.

I say put the muffs back on and fire it up. Then quickly get behind your boat and check for water coming out of the gimbal hsg bypass ports. That will verify the outdrive pump's health.

Secret flub up revealed here. Early on I drained my engine at first frost. Later in Nov I fired it up again to fog the engine. Muffs on, I went inside for at least 5 min, maybe more. When I came back out, no water from the exhaust ports. SMF. The drive impeller had frozen to the pump hsg from residual water and the hub separated from the pinion drive shaft.

Engine still dry, and not too hot. November in IA. I replaced the impeller in the spring, checked it out on muffs and all was good. 15+ yrs later I pulled the engine to replace bad front mounts. The exhaust flappers were still fine. Maybe I was lucky. But I wouldn't stress over three minutes if you get exhaust water.

BTW. Now I jump out of the boat like my pants are fire to check for that exhaust water before I make another move.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
...BTW. Now I jump out of the boat like my pants are fire to check for that exhaust water before I make another move.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I just stick my head over the stern and look (if I'm by myself)... But most times I run the engine is after a day out, and I have the deckie fire up the engine while I wash down the hull and trailer. As she starts it up, I watch both the overspill from the flushers (which decreases as the engine starts due to the pump pulling water in), and the water from the idle reliefs (indicating water is running through the engine)...

Chris.........