Recapped Tires

ae708

Chief Petty Officer
Someone alluded to recaps in another post. That got me wondering about this. I remember back when, IF I could afford to buy NEW recaps for my car I was in hog heaven. It seems that there are so many tire brands out there now and some are so darned cheap..... does anyone even recap tires anymore except for truck tires? I used to drive a fuel injected '57 Chevy flat out on top end as often as I could get away with it on recaps. I never had one fail on me. I always felt so cool when I was able to afford new recaps. :)

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Recapped Tires

I never cared much for recaps seen to many fail light and heavy vehicles. When I owned my own rig I would use recaps on the trailer but never on the truck itself. When those things decide to let loose the rubber chunks that fly off can really cause some expensive damage. This was over 10 years ago maybe the way they make recaps has improved sense then. It would take alot of proving for me to ever use a recap on my car.

Laddies

Banned

Me too. Most semi trucks are running on the to, but some compants can even keep the tread on their new tires anymore :rolleyes: :confused: :( Bob

NYMINUTE

Captain

In the 60's I bought 2 for my 65 Ford Galaxie. The price was decent, and they held up well. Then radials hit the market, and I never looked back.

dolluper

Captain

Geez I didn't know you could still find re-caps in the late 70's up hear most of the trucks went to re-grovable tires or rental tires where you exchanged and charged for wear

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I run recaps on my pickup, dually, and 2 semi; but, only the back. Never the front. on trailers too. I've had good luck with them only lost tread on the trailers, with eight tires losing one now and again is ok. And they keep the cost down. I don't run OTR just my own use. Here in Canada I can run the semi's without a CDL as long as it is my truck, trailer and load; I can sell the load, but can't get paid for hauling/driving without a CDL (class 1 up here) you do need a air brake endorsement on the driver lic.

Twidget

Commander

My first car, a real tire burner :rolleyes: , '64 Nova, three on the tree and inline 6 had retreads on it. I couldnt keep the tread attached. Fortunately, it didnt have AC, so the windows were always down and I could hear the tap tap before they let go.

SoulWinner

Commander

I don't miss seeing cast off tread laying all over the interstate.

D

DJ

HEAT is the enemy of any tire-ESPECIALLY recaps.<br /><br />I've run many recaps on trucks, equipment, etc.<br /><br />They key to recap life is proper tire inflation and don't overload them.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

My father was in charge of fleet for a company with trucks and they stopped using retreads cause the retreads were costing them money with lost time and also service call outs to fix flats.<br /><br />Ken

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

SW, come on down here in the south. Alligator season started about a month ago and won't let up untill oct.<br /> <br />A couple of years ago I finally saw a simi sling his rubber. Wow, I'm glad he was 2 lanes away from me.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I go bird hunting in south dakota and one of the ranchers' sons runs the tire shop in Bryant.. <br /><br />It probably employs more people than any other place in a 30 mile radius - which isn't sayin' too much ;) - but they put on a nice addition to the place about 4-5yrs ago.. interesting process. About the only thing out there is driving truck, ranching and working at the tread shop.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

remould-or recap technology as you call them in the US have improved dramatically.<br /><br />I can now buy 180mph rated remoulds for my bike.<br /><br />Used to be 60mph max and only available for cars over here.

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm the one who mentioned recaps in the other post. I only mentioned it as a joke, thinking some of thereaders might get a laugh. But I use them on fleet vehicles, from pick-ups to loaders, because the drivers we have are brutal. They don't go over the road, & tires with these people don't last 10,000 miles. I have a cage full of tires with less than 5,000, with the side walls ripped out. At 40% less it is almost a necessity. The last one I had on my personel car was in the very early '70's, & it went bad on me on Interstate 81, somewhere between Salem Va. & Bristol, & I swore I would never do that again.