Rebuilt motor will not start

fsds123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1979 115 evinrude. I've rebuilt one hole and new rings on the others. Compression is 90 on all 4. Motor will not start. Fuel gets to the carbs and the bowls fill up, but no fuel gets to the spark plugs. Good spark on all 4.

I also rebuilt the carbs with all new parts, and made sure jets were clean. (compressed air, wire through jets etc.)

Any ideas on where to start? If one carb is not working will fuel not flow through other carb as well? I am not getting fuel to any cylinder.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rebuilt motor will not start

how do you know the bowls fill? remove one bowl drain, let the carb drain, then pump bulb to see if you get new flow. do this on each carb. if good, then you have something clogged in the carbs. or reed valves.

fsds123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I pulled the top carb and it was full of fuel. Am able to blow air through with carb upside down but not right side up. Will go ahead and pull bottom carb as well.

Starts right up with premix sprayed into carbs...

Where are the reed valves, and if it runs with premix, does that mean they are fine?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Be sure to have the chokes 100% absolutely closed when starting the engine cold, and keep them closed until the engine fires.

You need to watch the choke plates to make sure that the vacuum from the engine does not pull them open while cranking. If they don't stay closed, move the choke solenoid down in small increments until they do.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

You said you rebuilt this engine with 1 new piston, and all new rings. How did you do that,and then ask where the reed valves are

fsds123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You said you rebuilt this engine with 1 new piston, and all new rings. How did you do that,and then ask where the reed valves are

Guess they also go by leaf plates...no mention of reed valves in my manual.

fsds123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Ezeke, turns out it was the choke.

Motor starts and runs now...let it run for about 10 minutes at varying idle speeds. I noticed a little bit of water in a few of the "crevices" at the top of the motor right under the flywheel. Is the water passage cover at the top the only possible source of water to get there?

fsds123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Turns out it was the water passage cover gasket. Motor is all set now and has about 3 hours on it and runs great. Thanks for all the help.