rebuilt fuel pump, sportwin 9.5, test results

georgeJeff

Cadet
I just rebuilt my fuel pump, I have replaced everything else on this thing, why not. I followed the notes from LeRoy's Ramblings, "Rebuilding the old OMC Square Fuel Pump". Great site if you have not reviewed it. He has even graciously answered a few questions for me in short order, thanks so much.

Question: At the end of the rebuild instructions, he says to blow through the inlet, air should pass, blow through the outlet, none shall pass. Well, I blow through the inlet and air does pass, but it takes some effort and it emits a low note (a vibration, squeaky in nature). Is this a pass or not? Air does not pass in the other direction by the way.

Thanks guys.

kbait

Commander
Re: rebuilt fuel pump, sportwin 9.5, test results

Should work fine. I usually blow through the inlet.. air should pass.. suck through same inlet, no air passes. Suck through the outlet, air should pass (perhaps a low note again), blow through outlet, no air passes. Good to go.

Good luck!

georgeJeff

Cadet
Re: rebuilt fuel pump, sportwin 9.5, test results

Got the fuel pump hooked back up, works great. So yes, there is some resistance when blow through the inlet. Thanks kbait.