Rebuilding trailer rollers

paul2112

Seaman
Hi , here is a picture of the setup thats on my trailer. Do i really need rollers or will long bunk boards do just the same? I plan on keeping the keel rollers, but am undecided on the smaller rollers..This trailer in supporting my 23' deep vee Newman, and is a rather heavy boat.. Any suggestions would be great...Paul

Attachments

• Picture 16.JPG
    Picture 16.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rebuilding trailer rollers

to be total honest, i would moor the boat at a dock or somewhere for a week or so. have the trailer sandblasted. and welding needed, primed and painted. then do keel rollers, and 4x6 bunks. that trailer is long overdue for maintainance.

cbavier

Lieutenant

tashasdaddy
Boy have you got that right, That trailer is in bad need of overhaul, some TLC.

Paul
The rollers don't look that bad. With his boat off the trailer you an closely inspect the rollers and make a much better assesment of the whole situation.
You will have your hands full trying to redo the whole trailer in one weekend but if you will start early, work late and be persistant you can do it.

Get all your materials lined up first. Grinder, grinding disks, Hand sand paper, wire brush, primer and paint. Then have at it.

Good luck. Post some pics when you get it all done.

Take winch, Spare and everything you can off before you start grinding and sanding. Even the tongue jack. Block the wheels and use a bottle jack or something to block it up.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

after painting, do the wheel bearing much easier with the boat off the trailer. renew your wiring.

BLLDOGG

Seaman

Sandblast. That's extensive rust in areas that are pretty much impossible to get to and grind/sand.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Oh Yea your right

Sandblast is definatly the best way to go. I've done a couple but nothing that bad. I don't have a sandblaster but I suppose you can rent them.

Paul if you go the Sandblast Route take your rollers, winch and spare tire off
for sure.