rebuilding a PWC engine?

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class
how hard is it to rebuild a jet ski engine? I have found a few cheap ones that knock or are blown. I have rebuilt several car/truck engines and am pretty good with my hands. If I got a good book is it as easy as a car engine?

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: rebuilding a PWC engine?

I was terrified when I tore into my first one, and felt really stupid about it afterwards! Rebuilding a 2 stroke is a no brainer in comparison to a 4 stroke car motor. Get a good manual, find a mfg specific forum for your ski, and jump in, nothing to it!

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

a little trick, buy a pkg of sandwich bags and a marker. label all your bolts and seal the bag as you re assemble the engine you will appreciate how simple it is to find the correct bolts. saves a lot of time and prevents loss of vital pieces. I use a low sided box and line up the bags as I remove stuff,try it it works .

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

well i just finished rebuilding my wifes engine and there are little plastic bags oll over the work bench, paint is drying and back in the ski it goes tomorow, bored out new pistons and rebuilt rotary valve shaft, maybe it will stop smoking up the beach when i start it now.Its amazing that you have to split the cases just to replace the rotary valve seal and berrings.oh well.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

well its in and running like a top and no smoke, thats one thing with sea doo rotary valves the seal, when they leak they really smoke up the place especially when you first start it after its been sitting a few days.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

cool deal. I am gonna pick up a cheap one and give it a try. Thanks.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

be sure you have a service manual its easier to read before you mess up than to go read about what you messed up, not to mention a lot less expensive in the long run.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah I always buy the best books for my toys. I am the type to do the job in my head first before I start turning wrenches.