Rebuilding a "73" inline 150 Mercury ???

Sagabu

Seaman Apprentice
Im new to the out-boards. <br />While out on the lake the other day I experienced a sudden loss of power.<br />I brought the 73 Baja 1600 in and backed into a dock area to pull the plugs while still in the water hoping that it was just a foul plug. <br />The # 1 plug had the dreaded aluminum buildup at the tip that blocked the plug hole. <br />A compression check reveild "0" compression and all others are fine. A rebuild is now unavoidable. <br />Realizing that Ill likely have to bore the cylinder, its time to ask a few pointers.<br />Is there any way to get more power outa the engine while Im in there via mods?<br />Any tips that are crucial that the Clymer manual does not cover?<br />Who is the best supplier of rebuild/mod parts for this adventure.<br />I have a 76 115 inline that has the same issue that I have kept for parts. Will the pistons interchange ?<br /><br />I had concidered repowering, but the boat is a relic and I really do not want to change anything original as it is an all original classic race boat.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Rebuilding a "73" inline 150 Mercury ???

The side ported inlines need very straight bore to run properly and they need to be ran on the high side of the max RPM range and timed properly to make them live

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rebuilding a "73" inline 150 Mercury ???

if its a freshwater motor it may be well worth a rebuild. while your doing it fix the cooling system.<br /> also remove the ex cover and check the divider plate and diverter plates.<br />not much of a way to get more out of it,reliably, it was tweaked to the max as a 99CID 150 anyway