rebuild or toss my 1983 Johnson 115 hp?

markdraper

Cadet
Just bought a boat with a motor that someone pulled a head off and tossed, leaving it to rust for a couple of years. Is this now good only for reef building? If I do the work, how much would it cost for parts and reboring, resleeving, etc? <br /><br />Is it worth it?<br /><br />The boat is a 1977 19' Glassmaster trihull and in pretty rough shape. I could get it back in decent condition with a few hundred dollars. I already have $500 into the boat. What would such a boat be worth with a rebuilt motor?<br /><br />I'd appreciate any experienced wisdom! Thank you.<br /><br />md

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: rebuild or toss my 1983 Johnson 115 hp?

Cut your losses and run. The top end is shot. Part out what is good( ie; carbs?,lower unit?, prop?, etc.)<br />As for the boat, repower with used motor if you really love it. A running boat of this vintage may be worth 1000-2500$ tops including trailer.

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: rebuild or toss my 1983 Johnson 115 hp?

Depends on how ddep the rust on the bores is. Honing or a re-bore may be an option, or a rebuilt or good used powerhead swap. If the lower unit and the rest of the systems on the motor are OK, it's not ready to be a reef yet. Just decide what your maximum amount of money you want to put into this boat is, and that will give you an idea of what kind of repairs to pursue. Good luck!<br /><br />------------------<br />I'm going to invent a TCW3/citronella oil blend and make a fortune!