Rebuild or replace?

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Your support and response to my problem regarding a<br />blown/detonated piston on my 140 85 rude has left me so much wiser regarding this subject and I'm very,very, grateful to have such a great bunch of guys to educate us 'greenies'<br />Yes- I've done my homework and I need your advice.<br />Qestion-The cost of rebuilding compared to replacing.<br />Naturally, I can't afford a new engine but I found<br />out the electonics, throttle assembly, etc. on my boat would be adaptable to any OMC up to 1994.<br />The upside- a newer engine.<br />The downside- I wouldn't know the history of the engine plus in 99% of the cases, I wouldn't be able to pull the necessary tests (compression,etc.) to see if it'll be worth the money. Don't want a repeat performance down the road.<br />The vast majority of people I've asked advised me to replace and bore the ENTIRE engine- not just <br />one cylinder/piston because the vast difference in compression from the new cylinder in opposed to the <br />original equipment. Yes - it ain't cheap but I need to go in the correct direction. What do you pros out there have to say. As always, much thanks for your help

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rebuild or replace?

Actually your controls will work from 1973 to 1995. They will work with adaptors on 96 and newer.<br /><br />Rebuilding what you have is a sure way to know your motor, inside and out (so to speak). Replacing one piston is OK as long as the other cylinders / pistons are in spec. Compression and balance will be within OE factory specs. <br /><br />If you wanted to you can bore the 1985 small bore looper out to the specs of a 1988 big bore. You just have to change cylinder heads. Unless you want a high compression V4, then you use the same small bore heads you have on the big bore block.<br /><br />Then you can take it a step further and use the 1993 and newer V6 lightweight pistons and lightweight rods. Talk about a FINE ideling motor!!<br /><br />Theres something to consider!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I'm going through that problem with one of my 1987 V4s now. I have received the following:<br /><br />Rebuild mine - hasen't been torn down yet but expect $1,800-2,400 from one shop and $3,000 from another.<br /><br />Remanufactured powerhead - $3,500 from one shop and $4,000-$4,500 from another. This includes lablor for the swap. Powerheads range from $1,900 to $2,700. The word of caution here is beware of rebuild quality.<br /><br />Repower with a 2003 or 2004 Yammy 200 2cycle - includes bracket, glass work, controls, prop & rigging $14,000-$15,000. Motor alone - $10,500.

93bronco

Ensign

get one of the remac power heads from this site and do it yourself. not that hard if you follow the manual.<br />one of the venders has a very good warr.

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks to all for your input