Rebuild or Replace?

24gradyexp

Cadet
Current engine is a 1992 Johnson 225. Got one bad hole (#6) that the top ring broke and scored the cylinder wall (prior to me owning it). Thinking about replacing it with a OX66 Yamaha 225 (fresh rebuilt) or just having the existing power head rebuilt. What fuel savings would I expect to see for mid to upper RPM usage with the fuel injected engine vs the carbed Johnson. I have a kicker that I troll with.<br /><br />Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rebuild or Replace?

Howdy, Grady.<br /><br />You wouldn't get much saving with the OX66 over the Johnny.<br /><br />To get significantly better fuel efficiency you need to go to a DFI engine like the Yammy HPDI, Merc Optimax, Evinrude E-Tec or Bombardier's DFI (formerly Ficht) or go to 4 stroke.<br /><br />You have about as good a carbed 225 2 stroke as there is. Were I in your shoes I would fix it or go all the way to a 4 stroke.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

24gradyexp

Cadet

Thanks, I figured that. She starts up fine with the old 1,2,3.<br /><br />1 Pump the bulb<br />2 Turn key to on Push it Primer and count till 8<br />3 Keep in and turn to start<br /><br />I know the Yammies are pretty good motors but it is not worth the extra money to change it all out if it is not that more efficient at that range.<br /><br />Any feelings about Blackbirds in PA <br /> http://1outboard.com/ <br /><br />They look good on the web page

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> that ox 66 is about 25% better on fuel than the carbed jonny.<br /> but the cost of rerigging with the yamaha stuff may be expensive. at wot the two motors will burn about the same. all being equal I would opt for rebuilding the 92. unless its seen a lot of salt. I want no parts of salt :) :) . without seeing the overall condition and based just on what you said I would say the jonny. but how is the mid-section and trim assy? how is the lower unit ?<br /> if you opt for the rebuild take all the rest apart as well.