Rebuild old mechanical Fuel pump or go for Electric Fuel pump

YOBE

Recruit
Hi,
I bought a boat with a 1980 Mercruiser 165HP. Engine starts when filling up the carburator with fuel and then dies.
They stated: most likely broken fuel pump, but I still need to double check if this is really the issue.
Question: suppose the mechanical fuel pump indeeds requires a rebuild, shoulf I go for that? OR replace is with an electric type of fuel pump (see picture as example)?

Thanks,

Attachments

• elec fuel pump.JPG
    elec fuel pump.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome
If the carb is getting fuel then it will not just die quickly, takes a while.

Tell us more about your symptoms ?

YOBE

Recruit
Hi and thanks!
To be honest I need to see for myself more in detail the issue as such. Saturday I can pick up the boat.
Was just trying to get an opinion on the mechanical pump versus electric as I saw in some cases people just changed to an electric pump.

But anyhow, thanks for the reply and I'm sure this forum will be able to get me on the right track. Hopefuly I don't encounter too many issues (this will be a project boat)

alldodge

Staff member
Many do change to electric and is simple enough to do. Let's use know and we can supply the how-to

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I think based on what I have read here that by & large mechanical fuel pumps are more reliable because with electric pumps the wiring to maintain power to the pump sometimes cause problems. The last mechanical pump I replaced was 30 years old! And they are cheaper too!

Scott06

Admiral
Hi and thanks!
To be honest I need to see for myself more in detail the issue as such. Saturday I can pick up the boat.
Was just trying to get an opinion on the mechanical pump versus electric as I saw in some cases people just changed to an electric pump.

But anyhow, thanks for the reply and I'm sure this forum will be able to get me on the right track. Hopefuly I don't encounter too many issues (this will be a project boat)
Stick with the mechanical pump if you need to replace it. By the time you buy an electric pump, replumb it, properly wire it through an oil pressure switch /relay I can see it being a savings... unless the original pump and or kit for it is not available.

Definetly do some diagnostics before deciding on replacing the pump- could be a clogged filter, tank pick up tube, antisiphon valve, carb inlet filter, needle and seat or float as well. Take the line off the carb put it in a container , ground ignition and crank see if it pumps...

These guys make rebuild kits for classic car pumps not sure if they can help you with a marine rebuild kit.