rebuild old evinrude just will not start

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class
i just got done rebuilding my first outboard its a 1955 7.5 hp evinrude when I found it it was locked up.i put on some new rings and it freed right up so i soaked and rebuild the carb put a gasket kit on put on a new impeller put on new points and condesors new plug wires and got it all back together and it just will not start i sent points to 020 and have vary strong spark on each cylinder it did pop/back fire twice so i tryed spraying some premix right in the carb and nothing so i tried some starting fluid still nothing i don't know what else to do maybe the timing could be off?its also vary vary stiff and hard to pull 3 pulls and my arm is killing me i even wore my OMC hat for good luck lol.

wbeaton

Commander
Re: rebuild old evinrude just will not start

Did the powerhead turn over easily before you reattached it to leg? How is the lower unit? If the pinion shaft in the lower unit is broken it will bind and make it hard to pull over. Could also be that you did not align things right. Tell us again what you did. You lost me when you said you "put on some new rings and it freed right up".

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: rebuild old evinrude just will not start

when i first got the motor it was froze so i took the pistons out and one piston had stuck rings so i got new rings for both cylinders and the flywheel turned nicely.i em hoping its just stiff because it was sitting for many years and maybe the crank shaft is just a little stiff from sitting.i just dont understand why i will not start. i tryed 2 different carbs.i cecked out the pinion shaft and it looked to be in good shape

Last edited: