Rear Seat Hinges

Status
Not open for further replies.

rufnek100

Seaman Apprentice
The rear seat hinges on my '93 Baja 24' Outlaw have recently pulled out of the holes in the bottom of the seat (thanks to the guys putting in my stereo). The current setup is two seperate hinges on the front of the seat so it rotates towards the bow.<br /><br />Effective enough, but my buddy has a little newer Baja and I like his hinge mechanism better. The way his seat flips up is that you have to lift the front of the seat up first, pull it towards you and down, and then the seat will rotate up on the hinges (make sense?). The problem is I can't find this type of hinge in any of the normal resources (Boater's World, West Marine, etc.).<br /><br />Does anyone know where to locate this type of seat hinge?

rufnek100

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Rear Seat Hinges

Is there a name for that type of hinge? I've done searches for "boat seat hinges" before and can't seem to find that particular animal.

Baldguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rufnek100....not that you have to buy them there, but is there a Baja dealer near you? You may ask them what the hinges on your buddies boat are and then go from there.<br /><br />I have a Baja 180 Islander and engine cover that is padded upholstery the hinges pulled out due to dry rot. What I did, and what you may consider, is taking the upholstery off to see what's in there holding the existing hinges on. What I found were "blind nuts" which the hinge screws screwed into. Long story short, I replaced the plywood, new blind nuts, restapled the upholstery and now as good as new....<br /><br />Just a thought if you're up for a project.<br /><br />If you need a name of a dealer, there's one I use in Southern Cal. that has EXCELLENT customer service. Lemme know....

rufnek100

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Baldguy - when mine came out, there was some dryrot as well. It looked like the previous owner had tried to "fix" the problem before because there were some plastic drywall anchors with wood screws (not the way I would have done it, but whatever). Replacing the plywood might be the way to go since there is already dryrot present in the seat bottom. I just wanted to know how to go get my hands on the neato-mosquito hinges.<br /><br />On that note, I'll email the Baja factory. I've emailed their customer service before and usually hear back from them within a few hours. Matter of fact, I was missing the USCG occupancy sticker on my boat and recieved a warning ticket from Lake Patrol about it. I emailed Baja and they sent me one in the mail that day - got to me three days later. I was impressed that they even gave a you-know-what about a 3rd owner, 11-year old boat.<br /><br />If anyone knows what to call that type of seat hinge, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Ralph 123

Captain

Just search the boats and watercraft section for "hinge*" and you'll see all the hinges listed. rather than searching for "boat seat hinges"

rufnek100

Seaman Apprentice

Appreciate the advice, but am still not coming up with anything. These can't be that hard to find, can they?<br /><br />Hopefully Baja will get back with me soon. Not a show stopper, but if I'm going to replace the hinges anyway they might as well be something I want...

rml

Seaman

rufnek100 --<br /><br />I find that finding the right hinge, especially for marine applications and particularly bench seats, can be difficult...but it sounds like you might be looking for a variant of the "offset blind hinge". You might try http://www.guden.com to see if they have anything that looks like what you're after...unless of course the Baja dealer can help you out...<br /><br /> --rml

sfborn

Cadet

Hey baldguy,
I was searching Baja threads and saw this old one where you replaced the engive cover on your Baja. I just bought the same boat ('93) and it is in excellent condition except for the hinges have rotted out and the spring loaded "struts" that hold the lid up are shot. I may take on replcaing the plywood, but was wondering if you kow where I could pick up the "struts" that hold the hood up. Also, do you know a good mechanic that knows Bajas in the bay area?
Thanks.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

go to that guden link posted by rml. Your struts are called "gas springs". They are not unique to Baja, they just used what was already available.
Somewhere on the strut there should be a brand and/or some numbers.

The hinge your looking for might be unique to Baja. Can you get a pic of the one you want to show us here ?

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think the hinge you are describing is called a double-pin hinge. My boat has one on rear bench lower cushion. You pull the cushion forward about an inch, then the rear part of the cushion lifts up (hinges in front).

Stingray sells them from factory for $5 each...contact them through stingray.com, here's how it is listed on the parts list for my boat (I'd link to it, but it is in owner/member area). First number should be part#.

221.1150 HINGE, ALUM 1X1X2 DOUBLE PIN EA 4.90

Hope this helps and good luck!

sfborn

Cadet

Thanks for the advice on the gas springs and hinges.

On another note, I noticed my throttle/shifter is pretty loose. There appears to be a threaded hole at the base of the shifter that I am guessing is where a tightening screw or bolt should be. It looks like the "screw" is missing as it is just an empty hole. Any ideas where I could find this part?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats! Please START your own thread and not raise one from the archives that is over 5 years old and then change the subject!

I will close this one and let you start a new one about your throttle issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.