Really tough physics questions

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Alright guys some really tough physics questions I thought of while sitting in traffic. Anyone know the answers, cause I sure dont. I tried some quick google searches and didnt come up with anything.<br /><br />1) Why does sound travel at the speed it does?<br />2) Why does light travel at the speed it does?<br />3) Why does water freeze at the temp it does?<br />4) Why does water boil at the temp it does?<br /><br />These are considered physical constants, but there must be some reason why they have these set values. I am thinking molecular size has alot to do with it.<br /><br />Good luck. You win the "kenimpzoom physics prize" if you get any of them correct.<br /><br />Ken

pjc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Really tough physics questions

due to their natural frequencies, or resonant frequiencies.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Pat Campbell:<br />due to their natural frequencies, or resonant frequiencies.
I was thinking the same thing but then the question goes further, why is that their natural or resonant frequency?<br /><br />Any yes GMG3, these are more philosphy (sp) type questions.<br /><br />I thought KKC could shed some light on #1 considering he designed planes.<br /><br />Ken

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

You can actually boil water at room temp. The molecular adhesion is affected by atmospheric pressure which in turn changes the temp at which water will boil.<br /><br />Therefore, water in Denver will boil at a lower temp than in Miami. 212 degree's refers to the boiling point of water at sea level, and that is used as the constant.<br /><br />May I have a cookie.... :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm.<br /><br />Both sound and light travel at different speeds depending on the medium they are transiting.<br /><br />Water both boils and freezes at different temps, depending on the ambient pressure.<br /><br />So, I guess those things are dependent to a large extent on the environment in which they occur.<br /><br />How and why? Heck I dunno.

Bored To Tears

Seaman Apprentice

hence relativity and all that einstein mumbo jumbo<br /><br /> :p

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Gee, I was so darn good at Physics, in my final yr at school I sat for a bursary for University.<br />When I got my exam paper back, it had 5% written in red at the top. :eek: <br />Before I could say a word, the lecturer called out, "Phillip, before you go complaining, I gave you 5% for spelling your name right". :eek: <br />So I agree with GMG3 and SBN.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

mmmm<br /> fiz***<br /> wow<br /> is that some kinda rockit sciances?<br /> we must not have leant much of thyat in alabamy.<br /> wow you guise is smarts:)<br /> have a nyce day now ya heah

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Some things in physics and science have no explanation. They are what they are and no one knows the reason. This is natural law. Me, I don't know. Now that that's all cleared up.....

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ahhhhhh....hummmmmmmmm..ok......hummmmmmm.....ah.........oh never mind pass me another beer please

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I just posted the speed of light question on www.physicsforums.com and the truth is nobody knows.<br /><br />Still in search of the answers for the others.<br /><br />Ken

ehenry

Commander

If you were in your car driving down the road, traveling at the speed of light and turn your lights on.....what would happen?

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by efhenry:<br />If you were in your car driving down the road, traveling at the speed of light and turn your lights on.....what would happen?
That's the odd quirk of realitivity. The light coming out of your headlights is still the speed of light. Even more weird, imagine that you are on a road traveling at the speed of light, and your buddy is in the other lane traveling towards you, also at the speed of light. What speed are you approaching each other? Standard Newtonian physics says it would be twice the speed of light. However, it's not, it's still the speed of light.

SoulWinner

Commander

Wilkin, don't forget the Dopler Effect. If you are traveling at the 300,00mps (or 188K KPS) and emit light, light emeitted in the direction you are travelling will be shifted blue, changeing the frequency of the light, but not it's speed. The light emitted from an object travelling at the speed of light would not be visable untill that object reached you, which would look like a blue burst of light as it reached you, and a trail of red light light as it travelled past and away from you. Note, the shift occurs the entire length of the electromagnetic spectrum.

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

time also slows down with acceleration, so as you approach the speed of light, time stops. Wait - that's eternity.....think about it. Once you're free from your ol slow body, well.....

ehenry

Commander

Boy Howdy ! ! ! We're out there now!