Really stupid question

rrichard

Seaman Apprentice
I'm somewhat new to boating and my friends and I have been debating a really stupid question. Are there any problems (legal or otherwise) flying a jolly roger on inland waters? I doubt anyone could really fear or be concerned about the "Infamous Pirate Scraggly-Beard of Little Blue Lake," right? But then again, maybe some moron watched a little too much Super Troopers and would construct some sort of gang affiliation charge. <br /><br />What's your two cents?

ratt1966

Seaman
Re: Really stupid question

I have never heard of a law about that but you never know. They have some really stupid laws out there.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Arghhh! No problem I can see... I just bought a jolly roger flag last night and plan to fly it offshore...<br /><br />If they can't take a joke, the hell with em'... :D

Kilgore Trout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fly the Jolly Roger . Then take an empty case of Coors Light and wear it on your head like a hat.<br /><br />Two things that scream out "notice me, damn it! - I think that I am an out of control party animal - when in reality, I am just a dork that gets drunk on Coors light!"

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

I say go for it. One of the Frigates I was on (USN ship) when we flew the battle ensign (huge American flag) we flew the jolly roger right underneath it. Part of the go get 'em character.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

I don't see any problem with it either, but I don't think I would rush up to a Coast Guard boat and try to board it in the spirit of the moment. They seem to lack a sense of humor in these matters.

Link

Rear Admiral

Rick:<br />As you can see by getting 6 posts in just a hour or so it wasn't a stupid question: I'm throwing my hat in with the rest of the posts: Go Fly the stupid thing and have fun with it! Then after you get out of the Brig make another post and tell that story :) <br />Fly it high and have a good weekend<br />Link

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

how did rick start this with 7 posts and end with 3

crab bait

Captain

ahrr SHIVER ME TIMBERS.. that's a dumb question to be sure...<br /><br />come closer matey an listen to me words,, <br /><br />many a good sailin' man died or mamed to defend the flag of 'ole billy bones.. good men,, with a penchent for gold, silver, an a swig of rum..who had no time fer king an queen an established governments..<br /><br />good men,, who even had the worlds first workman compensation.. if'n a mate got injured or mamed an couldn't be of service no more.. he was royally compensated for life.. if'n he died,, his family, too...<br /><br />why the only purpose for the gold ring in me ears .. is if we fall overboard or such an wash ashore... if someone found me carcase... they could take the gold from me ear ,, an pay me a christian<br />burial...<br /><br />fly it with honor...

beckerdg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the rule is, if you fly it you have to wear an eye patch and talk with a funny accent.

jamiewashere256

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just remember one thing.. There is no such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid person.
033102ass_1_prv.gif

KennyKenCan

Commander

My marina uses the "Jolly Rogers" flag as the marina's logo.<br /><br />All boats at the marina flies one that has the letters V.M.S. across the bottom. (V.M.S. stands for "Vanderbilt Marine Services".)<br /><br />Never had a problem.<br /><br />Kenny

rrichard

Seaman Apprentice

muskyone:<br />I've got separate accounts at home and at work...<br />Made an account ages ago, cookied the login, and forgot the password... Just wound up being easier to make a new account at home--can't remember why...

swnoel

Cadet

The only ones that may get upset is the IRS...<br /><br />Isn't that their flag? :)

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I always thought that WAS illegal. But guess not. But a word to the wise, name your boat something like "Reefer Madness", or fly the Jolly Roger............. don't be surprised if YOU get boarded................. ;)

bikezz

Recruit

And there was me thinking that this was the 21st Century. Surely there is no-one that would take "Flying the Jolly Roger" seriously. If they do, then I guess that they must have slept for the last couple of hundred years. I was going to add some apt remark here about who the only real pirates are now days, but I don't want my Tax office after me.

n0ukf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm sure there's still "pirates" out there on a small scale, but they probably don't bother with the Jolly Roger any more to induce fear into their targets. Modern firearms of any caliber are more effective for that.

magster65

Commander

I've flown my Jolly Roger for years and nobody's said a thing. They look kinda' neat that's why so many people have them.