Real Estate!!!

Fly Rod

Commander
:) Are there any Carlton Sheets fans out there???? "How to suceed in real estate"???? <br />No money down!! No cash or credit!!!<br /><br />After watching some of his programs while clicking tv stations I always seem to pause at his program for a few minutes!!!<br /><br />We are very familar and sucessfull in the real estate field!!!<br />Wife has been in the bussiness for 20 years!!!<br /><br />Hard to believe that you can buy properties with no money down or poor credit!!! at least in our part of the country!!!<br /><br />So my question is: Is there any success stories from using his course????

samagee

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Real Estate!!!

I think the only success is selling the story itself.

18rabbit

Captain

If it worked, the guy selling it wouldn’t be selling it, he would be DOING IT!!!<br /><br />Real estate tends to attract people that want a quick, easy buck. To do it right takes a lot of effort so the wanna-get-rich-quick folks seem to dissipate rather quickly.<br /><br />Also, real estate is the only profession where adversarial parties can legally have the same representation, the agent. It is controversial.

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I know guy that's done this. I'm not sure if this is the specific plan he followed, but the idea is the same. He did buy some properties using the plan. I'm not sure what he put down, but it wasn't much. But, he is NOT getting rich off of them. <br /><br />In my opinion, these properties seem to be more a pain in the rear than an asset. This guy loves to fish. But instead of fishing, he was spending most of his time fixing problems on these properties just to keep tenets in them. At one point he had so many that they actually became a financial liability. When a couple of tenets moved out, he had to make up the difference in mortgage payments. He was close to filing bankrupcy. He was finally able to offload a few of the properties and now has about two. <br />He's done this for more than 15 years now. I can't tell you what his net gain/loss was but he still works his regular job and doesn't have the new boat of his dreams.<br />Looking in from the outside it looks like a lot of work for little gain, but that's just my opinion.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Just checking other areas of the country!!!<br /><br />Some places are a little more laxed with there real estate rules then around here so thought it might have worked other places!!!!<br /><br />Around here if you bought a couple of houses in the1960s-70s and sold them in the 90s till now you would make out very very well!!! ;) :cool:

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Flyrod,<br /><br />DO NOT waste your money on that junk they try to sell on TV. All of that information can easily be found for free online. Plus, a lot of those programs are centered on getting a rich benefactor to sponsor you. <br /><br />You really need to know what you're doing to be successful in real estate though. Donald Trump made most of his money in real estate I do believe. I am going to get into it hot and heavy within the next few years. I just bought my first house about a week ago. With what I paid for it, I could quite possibly do a few minor repairs, then turn around and make a quick $30,000 or so. Only time will tell.<br /><br />Real Estate can be a very good way to make lots of money over the long haul. The real money is not in renting houses, but in buying, fixing, and then selling them for a profit. Fixing up more expensive houses doesn't necessarily mean more money. Cheaper houses should also be easier to get financed than more expensive ones. Usually, they are smaller and the work can be completed sooner to provide for a faster turnaround. I would highly advise anyone serious about getting into this field to somehow develop an excellent relationship with banks, credit unions, and real estate agents. That is essential. <br /><br />Developing is also great, if you have the money. If I had the money or could get it, I would buy about 2.5 acres here in Knoxville for $50,000. That may seem like a lot, but this is a great location. It is right next to some new condos they've been putting up in that area. These condos are selling for, on average, $85,000 each. It is zoned so that you can put up to 24 units per acre. Do the math. That could potentially be A LOT of profit, especially if I eventually owned the construction company :D . Many, many ways to get around paying huge capital gains taxes :rolleyes: :D . <br /><br />You don't really want to rent out houses. There is too little return for the investment and responsibilities. Especially if there is a mortgage owed on it. Now, if there aren't any mortgages owed then it may be ok. Preferably, you could do Owner Financing with say $5000.00 down. Then charge 10% interest on the loan. In this case, you don't actually own it so you don't have to do repairs and things of that nature. However, if they stop paying, you could foreclose and keep all that money as well as get the house back. Plus, people usually take better care of things that actually "belong" to them. Then, if you did have to foreclose, it "should" be in better shape than if it was rented. Plus you don't have to pay the property taxes nor do you have to have landlords insurance. Which means more profit. <br /><br />Apartment complexes on the other hand are nice to have. You have to know how to run them though. DO NOT become FRIENDS with your tenants. That can be a MAJOR downfall. Like Trump says, "It's nothing personal, It's just business." If you want to get started in this, I would look at somehow acquiring at least a quadriplex. With a quadriplex, you usually have a more stable cash flow than with a house. If two units were empty, you still should have enough money coming in to at least pay most or all of the mortgage payments. It would be best to save up a cash safety net for unexpected expenses, and then pay that thing off. Pay as much as you possibly can to lower that principal balance. Just remember that it will take hard work, and dedication. You also MUST have good business sense. <br /><br />Good Luck,<br /><br />James<br /><br />PS: Sorry that was so long, I just couldn't stop typing LOL :p Anyway, I hope that was helpful to anyone interested in Real Estate.

Link

Rear Admiral

Fly Rod<br />Second hand with Carlton Sheets. As I know a guy who took his program and used it. First hand with another using the same program just twisted a little different. (some guy out of Florida)<br /><br />My wife and I every once in awhile like to go into Seattle and bum around the Pike Place Market and water front for a day. <br />And this guy was going to be there on a sunday and also was giving away a really cool gift if you sat through his FREE seminar.<br />So I called 1-800 whatever and made reservations.<br />We showed up at 8am and sat through the first hour and slipped out during the break.<br />Had a wonderful day and slipped back in on the last break. Got our gift and went home. Now the punch line<br /><br />Now remember we were only there for the first and last hour not 8 hours with a break every hour for people to buy his course.<br /><br />At $499.00 for his course I saw him rake in over $20,000 dollars! Yup read it again $20,000 and we weren't there for the other 6 hours! About 95% was billed directly to credit cards.<br /><br />On Carlton Sheets program. And this is not Carlton Sheets fault! A crook (thats being nice) took his course and could not work it because of his credit. So he roped someone I know with good credit in as a partner. For about six months they were living the high life. Buying and closing on all types of properties, Apartments, single house dwellings, etc etc and every day a new deal. They were doing so well that they no longer wore jeans and tenny runners! Yup it was Cheap $200.00 suits to a coffee shop. Will the crook is still a crook and debt free, the guy with credit lost everything except his home and one car. And is paying off $40,000 dollars on credit.<br /><br />Now on the upside.<br />I have a friend (retired Navy) at the age of 39 who wanted something to do, to make money but after taking orders for 20 years didn't want to work for some one else and take orders anymore. He lives in CA. So he bought a run down house with little or nothing down and fixed it up. Sold it and was happy. Untill his daughter took all of his reciepts for materials (labor not included) and showed him he actually lost money! As a Chief in the Navy he was a quick learn. For the last ten years he has only done three houses a year. It gives him plenty of time for fishing and he clears on average $30,000 per house. So yes it can be done, but not without work. But like he says.. $90,000 a year and I'm just having fun! :rolleyes: <br />Take my place: I paid $34.500 in 1985.. Have put mabe $1500,00 into upgrades and it will sell for next year $120,000.. pretty good profits<br />jee70611 <br />You just thought you got long winded.. :) <br />Its a passion with me too :)

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Thanks for the info!!!<br /> Just thought I'd pass the idea around seeing that there are some 40,000 iboats members thought we would hear some good luck stories!!!! ;) :cool:

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

I'm extremely skeptical of those types of infomercial gurus, i am in agreement with samagee and 18rabbit.However at the moment i am in search for approx 10 to 15 acres in the east texas region, if there are any good tips out there feel free to pass it along ;)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Be prepared to have gas wells drilled on it and for you to NOT get the royalty payments. Land with minerals is nonexistant here in central/east Teaxs anymore. I am currently buying/trying to buy 36 acres. Land is perfect, surrounded by gas wells, and several will probably end up on my place :mad: :mad: :mad:

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Hey KB, so what you're telling me is that the seller retains the mineral rights to the land,or they may not even be the holder of the mineral rights?

Kenneth Brown

Captain

You got it. The current owner has elected to retain the oil and gas. I get the surface,water,and timber. My inlaws have 20 acres with 1/2 minerals on it. They have no wells on there place but the land around them does. They have gotten paid their share for about 5 years now. The royalties have paid for the property twice over. An elderly womam down the road from me decided to sell her mineral rights in a lump sum. She recieved $275000! Watch what you buy. If you do not get the minerals with the place then you have no control. They can drill anywhere on your property they wish, it only has to be 250 feet from a building. You will get paid for surface damage but it doesn't amount to much. Average payout on surface is about $7000. I live in the highest producing gas area in the nation. We even made front page on the Wall Street Journal. Its great for those that get the money, pure torture for those of us that don't.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

To make money is not real hard. Just make sure you are spending less than you are earning.<br />The best Real Estate deal you will ever do is freeholding the home you live in as quickly as you possibly can.<br />And that is not real hard. <br />As an example, if you are a couple, then both work, both work 2nd jobs at night or in weekend, hold off having the kids, live off the smallest wage and pump the largest wage in to paying off the mortgage. <br />Once apon a time an average home should not exceed 5 times an annual income.<br />When freehold you will find you will have 35% (roughly) more income in you pocket (as I understand the average mortgage comsumes 35% of a net income (that is income after deductions of tax).<br />Then never purchase anything by way of a loan. You want a new boat, save as much as you can and buy a boat that you can afford to pay for outright.<br />You may find as you proceed through life, you don't ever experience financial difficulties, always have a good surplus in the Bank account, and although you may not be trend setter in the neighbourhood, you will certainly be one of the most comfortable and happy.<br />When the kids leave home and the wife goes out to work, with everything you need and no outgoings, you will accumulate surpluses of money quite quickly.<br />Then look at investments and judge them on facts. <br />Cheers<br />Phillip