Reading prop part #'s

chadchurchill

Seaman
I have a 1986 Mercury 75hp and the aluminum prop on it has stamped 48-77344 A40L 17P. I tried looking this up at the mercurypartsexpress website, but it says it's an invalid part number. I would assume that the 17P means 17 pitch, but what else can you determine from these numbers? Diameter?<br /><br />The reason I want to know is that I'm looking to replace the prop(most likely with another aluminum) and keep this one as a spare. Right now at WOT I get 5200 RPM and 32 MPH, which seems good for this boat( motor manual says RPM range of 5000-5500). Should I stay with Mercury props or are other brands just as good?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />TripleC

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: Reading prop part #'s

The prop is indeed a 17 pitch.<br /><br />This prop seems to be working properly for you.<br /><br />TMD

dilligafda

Petty Officer 1st Class

The part number is the same as listed without the L or 17P. It does supercede to a newer number 77344A45. IMHO, stay with the Mercury brand prop. The RPM is right in the range, but is that with the boat empty or full? If the boat is empty, the rpm will drop when the boat is loaded with passengers and gear. You should have the RPM as close to max as possible with the boat empty to avoid a lugging situation when the boat is loaded. <br /><br />But again, that's my opinion.<br /><br />Happy boating! :)

greasemonkeyozi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stay away from buying a used prop. The last 3 I have bought were used and only lasted 4 trips per... just food for thought. :D