Read the marker correctly

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice
Well I made my first "rookie" mistake yesterday. I was cruising the lake, a damed lake that had been lowered, when I saw a marker and "ASSUMED" it was a "no" wake marker because it was about 100 feet from a marina area. Well it was a "Shoal" marker and needless to say I scraped the bottom of the I/O on the rock. It was a brief rubbing on the rock. After the incident I jumped in and checked the prop and surrounding area, and there are a few scratches on the base of the motor and the prop blades have a few rough edges. The bottom of the boat does not seem to have rubbed. It appears that the most damaged, which is still minor, is on the metal bottom of the motor that extends below the prop(I am sure this has a name). Anyways, I used the boat the rest of the day and did not notice any difference in the boats performance. My question is : What else should I look for? If the prop has very minor damage does it need to be replaced? When I have it winterized, should I mention this or see what they say first? Anything else I should possible check for damage? Thanks in advance for your responses.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Read the marker correctly

It's fine. You've just broken it in...<br /><br />You'll do it again someday.

crab bait

Captain

you should take the uscg /power squadron coarse this winter.. <br /><br />it's a fabulous coarse.. easy to find an only 20 bucs.. you'll love it..

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

the area below the prop is the skeg. they are replaceable but only by qualified welders. Doing the procedure wrong will cost you a new lower unit.<br /><br />Pull the prop and take it to a prop shop and make sure it is correctly balanced. You may have knocked it out of balance which can in time damage your lower unit. You should always carry an extra prop and you can probably grab an nice rebuilt one inexpensively.

QC

Supreme Mariner

In a pinch you can easily file those rough edges down, same with the skeg. Pointer is right though, balance is the issue and it is balance while pushing a LOT of water. That means the edges do need to be right. You definitely need a spare.<br /><br />We've all done it. The first time I hit I was actually showing a guy how to look for shallow water :eek: He was driving my then new boat (1984) and had no idea what to do as we started banging off the bottom. I literally had to reach over and turn off the key . . . :eek: