Re:Trim Tabs on a 2008 Regal 2400

CaptainKev

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re:Trim Tabs on a 2008 Regal 2400

I'm contemplating installing Bennett trim tabs on my 24 foot Regal. The boat weighs approx. 6,000# loaded and has the 5.7 Volvo GI with the Penta Duoprop setup. I've contacted Bennett and their suggestion is 16" X 12" tabs with 1" up fins mounted on the transom pocket for the outdrive. The pocket for the outdrive is approx. 48" across. The "normal" place to mount the tabs (close to the port & starboard chines) is not feasible because the straightest section is less than 9" across. I do a lot of relatively slow speed tubing and I would like to get the bow down sooner for safety's sake and fuel consumption. Any comments, or advice would be welcomed.
Kev.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Trim Tabs on a 2008 Regal 2400

I would take Bennett's advice. I think you'll be quite happy. I love the Bennetts on my boat.

Put the switches where they can be reached comfortably while sitting or standing, even if it means installing more than one set. My are hard to reach when standing and when running in rough water, I adjust the often and always drive standing. I will be adding a second set of switches soon.

CaptainKev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Mischief.....I wondered where you had gone? The decision just got easier because the sender unit on my out drive crapped out this weekend. Since I also stand, switch placement will be critical. Have you considered Bennetts Auto Control? The main drawback I have with it is that you need to install individual switches, as well. It would seem to me that that having the auto with manual override built in would be a logical design criteria...but the rep. sounded stunned when I asked if that was in the works. I am short on room on my helm, so I'm going with the switch and LED display option. Your advice is always good to get. Thanks for the reply
Kev.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I have never considered auto control. It's easy enough to occasionally stab one of the buttons if simply trying to keep the boat level. The times I need to make adjustments constantly are when it's rough and I'm trying to fine tune the pitch of the boat, fore and aft, so that the bow splits steep waves nicely, but does not dig in and take water over the top. It's a balancing act between throttle, tabs and drive trim. Auto control would not help much there.

If you want position indicators, the Bennett senders are NMEA 2000 compatible and can connect directly to a Lowrance LMF 200. The LMF 200 and fuel flow sensor (<$200) can easily replace your OEM gas gauge (that's what I did) giving you fuel flow data and a vastly more accurate gas gauge, while also displaying tab position, and with the addition of other sensors, scads more data. The LMF 200 displays the following data (with proper senders): paddlewheel speed, GPS speed, tachometer, battery voltage, alternator voltage, engine temperature, water pressure, engine oil pressure, fuel pressure, boost pressure, transmission oil pressure, atmospheric pressure, temperature, depth, engine loads, engine hours, fuel flow, fuel economy, fuel remaining, fuel used, fuel range, trip fuel used, seasonal fuel used, engine synchronizer, fluid level, GPS position, trim tab position, engine trim position, and engine alarms and warnings. It's pretty kickass and cheap.

CaptainKev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your needs do indeed make the automatic system unnecessary. Since there is no look ahead capability, by the time the data gets transmitted to the tabs you're already in trouble. The gauge you mention is way cool. At the moment I have a Garmin GPS/Fish Finder that I'm not very happy with. The map interface for my local lakes is terrible. The boat GPS location & speed is probably accurate but the graphics show me in the middle of a farmers field when I'm 2 miles out. Also, the transducer is inconsistent & craps out a lot. I was in the field of testing prototype jet engines for 15 years......so bad data really ticks me off. As I mentioned, most of the boating I do is on local lakes. I would certainly be in the market for that system if I can persuade the spouse to try try the Great Lakes sometime. I'm guessing from your location and the wave action that you spend most of the time in the Atlantic. One of these days I'll get out there.
Kev.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Most of my time is spent on the bigger lakes in New England. I do go out on the ocean, but it's the steep, closely-spaced chop on the lakes that's most troublesome. Big swells on the ocean are not a big deal.