Re:Trim Gauge & Sensor.

CaptainKev

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re:Trim Gauge & Sensor.

I have a 2400 with Volvo 5.7 GI and a Duo-prop stern drive. I would like to have the trim gauge working without having to turn the ignition to start/run. In other words........I want the gauge to work any time the drive can be moved. I'm not sure if this is a common issue, or just Regal, but I'm very uncomfortable knowing that the drive can be moved without any indication of the position. I've gone through my owners manuals for both the boat and the stern drive, but neither show the circuits that would be involved. Obviously, the trim gauge power is supplied through the gauge cluster harness, but what I don't know is does the trim sender on the drive get the power from the gauge, or someplace else. I'm not concerned with battery drain because the only time the battery switch gets turned on is when I do shore checks, or right before I launch. Any help, or information would be appreciated.
Kev.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Trim Gauge & Sensor.

The trim sender is simply a variable resistor (rheostat or potentiometer) in a loop like this: plus 12V---ignition switch---sender---gauge----negative 12V. The function of the sender is to vary the voltage to the gauge.

You might be able to rig a switch to feed plus 12V between the igntion switch and the sender, but it will "backfeed" voltage to anything connected to the same circuit. A diode in-line would prevent that. Rather than the switch, I think I'd use two diodes and make the outputs of the trim up an and trim down solenoids the sources of the +12 volts so that with the ignition off, the gauge is only working when the drive is moving.

CaptainKev

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great suggestions Mischief Managed. My gauge package is supplied +12VDC from the ignition, starting at the trim gauge and then piggybacking to the other gauges from there. There are four terminals on the gauge. Two of them are +/- 12VDC. The sensor output is connected to the third terminal. The fourth terminal is a mystery, at the moment. It's a male spade connector with a wire with an insulated female connector going to it. In retrospect, it may be a lighting supply. I spent quite a bit of time trying to locate the sensor cable last evening and didn't have any luck. The sensor is located on the starboard side of the drive and the cable goes through the transom T.D.C of the drive. I know the cable has to be coming out right behind the engine, but I couldn't find it before I got bitten up so bad from our friendly mosquitoes. I'll grab a can of "Off" and try again tonight.Since I can easily isolate the gauge from the rest of the package, I'm going to give your first suggestion of an in-line diode a shot...........if I can find the durn thing. Thanks for your help.
Kev.