Re-powering Yamaha's

jfbetz

Seaman Apprentice
I am getting set to retire a set of 1994 yamaha 225's and replace w/1999 EFI 250's. Although I am pretty handi, I am not a yahama technician nor do I pretend to be and don't want to get half way through the project and have to call for help. Can someone offer suggestions as to what elements of this swap may pose technical problems? Anything that should be done prior to firing up the new engines? I understand all the rigging is the same. If it's just a matter of dis-connecting and reconnecting fittings, hoses, etc. I should be O.K. Beyond that, I will need to give consideration.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Re-powering Yamaha's

you will need the harness adpters for the trim,remote oil tank and oil alarms. in 1995 yamaha changed from round connectors to square.

jfbetz

Seaman Apprentice

Can I make do with the ones from the re-power engines. All rigging is coming with the engines along with the oil tanks, 704, gauges, etc. Beyond that, is the process really as easy as "bolt on and go" as many suggest?

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

well if you are replacing everything, it should be really straigtforward although re-rigging is usually a pita. in some cases i would imagine it much easier to get the harness adapter than run the new harness.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if yout using all the 99 rigging, other than control cable length there is no worries.

jfbetz

Seaman Apprentice

Roger all of that. I'm going to give it a go!