Re-Pitching Props

adamk523

Cadet
I have 2 Stainless Mercury Vengeance Props. One is a LH and the other is a RH. The boat does not get out of the hole quickly, and is slow at cruising speed. They are 14 X 18 Pitch. The boat manufacturer said that the boat calls for a 14 X 19(THe dealer put these props on last year $1000) I don't want to spend another thousand on props, so I was considering having these re-pitched for about $300.00 Is this a bad idea? I heard that once they are reworked, they dont last very long.

red10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Re-Pitching Props

i don't think there is any issue with a repitch other than you will lose efficiency of the prop ( slip %). I've never had a problem with a re worked prop.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If your holeshot is slow with an 18 pitch, then it'll be slower still with a 19 pitch.<br /><br />Shout for Walleyehed )Kenny) - he'll give you the facts.

Jilly - 5

Seaman

I agree that higher pitch just loads the engine moreso. You need lower pitch. If you're experimental by nature, try grinding off some cupping. Cupping adds an inch of pitch. With less cupping, you'll approach 17" pitch. But don't know if you want to play with ss props. That's why I always buy aluminum. I solved your problem on my boat by going to 4 blade, one inch less pitch over my 3 blade.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

There's nothing wrong with repitching or rebuilding a prop. But I agree with previous posters...you're going the wrong way...you probably need a 17. A 19 will only make it worse.<br /><br />But that's a guess, as "slow at cruising speed" and "does not get out of hole quickly" are very vague descriptions of what your problem is...if there's a problem at all. In order to be accurate, what is your current RPM at top speed? And what RPM are your motors rated for at their max HP rating? If you provide this info, people here can help guide you to the correct prop size, type, and pitch. Don't waste a $300 repitch on a guess based on a mfr recommendation...know exactly what you need first, and in order to know that, you need to know exactly where you're at right now.

tommays

Admiral

are you getting the correct WOT with the props ?<br /><br />you need to know this to make the correct pick<br /><br />if its right then one way to help the hole shot is haveing the props vented this allows them to slip more when starting inproveing the holeshot<br /><br /><br />
f38a025f.jpg

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Jilly-5:
try grinding off some cupping.
Belay that grinding off!<br /><br />Start grinding off a chunk of prop to remove cupping and you're in all sorts of trouble.<br />Cupping can be reduced simply by using a hammer and dolly. This keeps the same amount of material, and hence the balance, thickness, and basic shape on each blade. It also means that you can reverse your work if you need to adjust cupping later.