Re: Need help choosing a boat and outboard!

kwerdal

Cadet

First off Hi I am new here!

Secondly I was looking into a 1989 Gemini 20 foot bass boat with a 200GT Johnson a guy at work says to stay away from the big 200 it will kill me in fuel.. I also found a 16 foot Nitro with a 115 Evenrude for about the same money what do you guys think? both boats are in the $3500 range.. the Nitro is a bit cleaner but both are nice.

Thanks!!

Kevin

kwerdal

Cadet
Re: Which Outboard to buy? opinions please!

Re: Which Outboard to buy? opinions please!

Nothing?

Bifflefan

Commander

Well you have said nothing about what you want to do with the boat....
If you are only going to fish,, get a fishing boat.
If your going for the sport then get a sport boat.
If your doing both then get the sport boat. you can fish off anything but you may have a hard time with a skier or a tube with a fishing boat.

Hope that this helps,,, did'nt have a lot to go on...

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Well you have said nothing about what you want to do with the boat....
If you are only going to fish,, get a fishing boat.
If your going for the sport then get a sport boat.
If your doing both then get the sport boat. you can fish off anything but you may have a hard time with a skier or a tube with a fishing boat.

Hope that this helps,,, did'nt have a lot to go on...

Ditto-
Would you really base your finale decission on what we told you you should buy anyway :rolleyes:
BTW- Welcome to iboats :D

kwerdal

Cadet

Sorry... fishing.. both boats I mentioned are fishing boats its more a question of if the 20 footer with a 200 hp Johnson or the 17 footer with the 115 evenrude lake here are moderate sized so speed isnt key but both boats are priced the same and I not sure wich is the better way to go. I had a 16 foot bass boat with an 85 HP chrysler that ran about 35 wanting more then that but I was told the 200 would be a fuel hog even if I ran at lower throttle

Kevin

My opinion would be go with 115hp nitro it will be fast enough and you will save gas trailering it and while on the water. enjoy your new purchase getting a new/used boat is exciting!

kwerdal

Cadet

Thank you for your input!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd really have to see pics of each to decide. Both sound like they are equipped with great power for their size. What year is the Nitro?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The problem with ?Fuel hog? is that it is a relative term. The guy running a 250 HP might think a little differently about the fuel usage of a 200 hp unit.

You have to put things into perspective. Even if it used twice as much fuel, which it will not, how much do you spend on fuel to begin with?

So you spend $250 a year now. You buy the 200HP boat and your fuel is now cost you $350 a year. Is a $100 a year difference in the operating cost enough to get you to go with the smaller option even though you really wanted something bigger?

kwerdal

Cadet

Well the Nitro got sold before I got to it, I went to see the Gemini tonight and brought it home.. looks like a nice boat, guy gave me a 60 day warranty on the motor. Here are some pics

Attachments

• Gemini 1.jpg
    Gemini 1.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Gemini 2.jpg
    Gemini 2.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 0
  • Gemini 3.jpg
    Gemini 3.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Gemini 4.jpg
    Gemini 4.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 0

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

I was going to suggest the 20' ;). Great deal on the boat. You will enjoy the extra room and that boat will handle the chop a little better. The 200hp wont eat to much fuel and you wont be doing much cruising around anyway in a fishing boat. Also the increase in speed will be nice as well but just be careful as I think that boat will run 60+ if set up right so if you are new to performance boats take it slower at first. post up after you take her for a spin.

jbjennings

Captain

That's a really nice looking rig. I like the way the motor matches the color of the rig. I have to ask..........did you get that 60 day warranty in writing?
That's an AWESOME warranty on a motor that old!
Hope you got a good-un,
JBJ

kwerdal

Cadet

Yes I did get it in writing :D He said the boat will run 60+ depending on conditions. I will be sure to take it slow my last boat went 35 if I didnt have a head wind LOL he didnt have it in the water this year so I need to get a few little things done but I hope to have it on the water next week. Goofy thing has 3 live wells and 2 bait wells with aerators I dont catch enough fish for 1 live well LOL may make one a cooler :D

jbjennings

Captain

Sounds like you got a sweet boat, Kwerdal!
Like you, I am accustomed to -35mph boats. My best friend bought a bass rig with a 150hp merc on it and I drove it a couple of times to test it out and see if it needed work. It scared the crap out of me and it would only go about 55 or 60mph top speed. It took a few minutes to get accustomed to the trim and how to use it correctly. Even then, when trimmed perfectly, it felt like it was barely touching the water and I've decided I don't really like "chine walking"! I'd probably not catch a single fish if I had a boat like that because I'd be running up and down the lake driving my boat. :p
Later,
JBJ

kwerdal

Cadet

Got it for $3000 I hope I did okay on it trailer has surge brakes that are not working and the trolling motor is an old Johnson but it works

jonesg

Admiral

I would always go for the bigger hull,
screw the fuel cost, you can't fish at 60 mph anyway.
Release the hounds.!

kwerdal

Cadet

I really don't need that big motor I plan to fish more then rip around the lake

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I really don't need that big motor I plan to fish more then rip around the lake

Refer to my first reply-
You already answered your question :rolleyes:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Good decision on the bigger boat. The speed and performance of that one will be great as well. Just remember you don't have to use the speed and power it has but it sure is nice to have it if you need it.
Enjoy.