Re-jetting Mariner 40

jasper2447

Seaman Apprentice
I have just bought a 2002 model Mariner 40.<br />I read in another forum that the mariner 40, 50 and 60 share a common block, pistons, crank, etc and that the difference in power output is achieved solely by larger jets in the carb.<br /><br />Is this true and, if so, can i easily increase the power output of my 40 to 60HP simply by fitting the larger jets and re-tuning ?? Where do I get the jets and what do i order?<br /><br />Are there any peculiarities or weaknesses wit this engine which i need to be aware of?? I will use it in salt water.<br /><br />John B

FlyBoyMark

Ensign
Re: Re-jetting Mariner 40

NO!!!! Larger jets will do nothng but flood the engine. 40,50,60 Hp use bigger carbs on each model, 50, 60 HP use higher volume oil pump than 40 HP and 60 HP has additonal milling in the port area. 50,60 HP does not have reed stops like th 40 HP. And there are some minor oil pluming differences between the 40HP and 50-60 HP. DO NOT REJET this will do NOTHING but flood the engine...

jasper2447

Seaman Apprentice

It seemed too good to be true - thanks for the info, i wondered why the manufacturers would leave horsepower just lying around unused :) <br /><br />jasper

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

Read "Question for FlyBoyMark" in this "Mercury..." thread....its only a day old. :cool: