Rayamarine A128 to Standard Horizon GS6000 NMEA connection

bitesomthing

Cadet
i just connected my Raymarine A128 MFD is connected to my Standard Horizon Gx6000 VHF w/ ais. The Standard Horizon will show the GPS coordinates that are sent over from the A128. The Raymarine shows "AIS IS NOT ON OR NOT CONNECTED", yet when i go to the Diagnostics of the Raymarine A128 it show the GX6000 VHF is connected to the A128. Its acting like something needs to be turned on. i cant figure out what, i have turned it on in the Chart display and the radar display and nothing. I am using NMEA2000 ( seatalk-ng,) to network the 2 units.

Thanks CHris

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
i just connected my Raymarine A128 MFD is connected to my Standard Horizon Gx6000 VHF w/ ais. The Standard Horizon will show the GPS coordinates that are sent over from the A128. The Raymarine shows "AIS IS NOT ON OR NOT CONNECTED", yet when i go to the Diagnostics of the Raymarine A128 it show the GX6000 VHF is connected to the A128. Its acting like something needs to be turned on. i cant figure out what, i have turned it on in the Chart display and the radar display and nothing. I am using NMEA2000 ( seatalk-ng,) to network the 2 units.

Thanks CHris
The unit has a AIS receiver. AIS data is shown on the radio display.

I see nothing about the unit having the capability to transmit AIS data.
Nothing in the PNG listing to support an interface to the outside world, aka A128.

Last edited:

bitesomthing

Cadet
The unit has a AIS receiver. AIS data is shown on the radio display.

I see nothing about the unit having the capability to transmit AIS data.
Nothing in the PNG listing to support an interface to the outside world, aka A128.
this is from the manual, i have seen this statement a few locations in the manual:

"Note: Up to 15 AIS targets can be shown on the display. All received AIS targets are displayed on the compatible chartplotter or navigation software via NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000."

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
this is from the manual, i have seen this statement a few locations in the manual:

"Note: Up to 15 AIS targets can be shown on the display. All received AIS targets are displayed on the compatible chartplotter or navigation software via NMEA 0183 or NMEA 2000."
Looking at both manuals, it doesn't look like either unit supports AIS via NMEA 2000.
Need to use NMEA 0183

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
A second, AIS antenna is connected to the radio?
Is AIS data displayed on the radio?

bitesomthing

Cadet
A second, AIS antenna is connected to the radio?
Is AIS data displayed on the radio?
yes i have a second antenna to the radio, i just installed the radio this week so, I have not had boat on the water yet to be able see other vessels( this weekend). Just weird how the Raymarine A128 shows in the diagnostics that its connected but, where it tells you what is running on the A128 that the AIS is not attached, Yet the radio show the gps cordinates that the A128 MFD is send to the radio.....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Just weird how the Raymarine A128 shows in the diagnostics that its connected but, where it tells you what is running on the A128 that the AIS is not attached, Yet the radio show the gps cordinates that the A128 MFD is send to the radio.....
The VHF has GPS capabilities. It does not rely on the A128 for position unless configured that way.
Big difference between being "connected" and the two units acknowledging each other over the network.

I would start at Section 18, page 121 of the manual and make sure your network and GPS options are setup correctly.

bitesomthing

Cadet
The VHF has GPS capabilities. It does not rely on the A128 for position unless configured that way.
Big difference between being "connected" and the two units acknowledging each other over the network.

I would start at Section 18, page 121 of the manual and make sure your network and GPS options are setup correctly.
No, the VHF must rely on a external GPS antenna or to be networked with and a second gps unit in order to have gps capabilities. everything is networked properly. I guess ill be calling Raymarine for this one.

bitesomthing

Cadet
Just an update. I took the boat down to the water on Saturday and Sunday for some fishing. Once the GX6000 received signals from other boats it all started working as it is supposed to.. The A128 is now shoing AIS is connected..