Ray Charles dies at age 73...

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
(C&P)<br /> Ray Charles, the Grammy-winning crooner who blended gospel and blues in such crowd-pleasers as "What'd I Say" and ballads like "Georgia on My Mind," died today. He was 73.<br /><br />Charles died of acute liver disease at his Beverly Hills home at 11:35 a.m., surrounded by family and friends, said spokesman Jerry Digney.<br /><br />"I was born with music inside me. That's the only explanation I know of," Charles said in his 1978 autobiography, "Brother Ray." "Music was one of my parts ... Like my blood. It was a force already with me when I arrived on the scene. It was a necessity for me, like food or water."<br /><br />Blind by age 7 and an orphan at 15, Charles spent his life shattering any notion of musical boundaries and defying easy definition. A gifted pianist and saxophonist, he dabbled in country, jazz, big band and blues, and put his stamp on it all with a deep, warm voice roughened by heartbreak from a hardscrabble childhood in the segregated South.<br /><br /> Ray Charles will live on through his music, forever..<br /><br />What's your favorite Ray Charles song?...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ray Charles dies at age 73...

I really liked his songs and music.<br />Here are just a few that I enjoyed along with a lot of others he done.<br /><br />Bye Bye, Love <br />I Can't Stop Loving You <br />Hey, Good Lookin' <br />You Are My Sunshine <br />Here We Go Again

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What I say- is my all time favorite, we just lost one classy dude!<br /><br /><br /> Jim

LadyFish

Admiral

Definetly "Georgia" for me.<br /><br />Ray Charles was a blind man with so much vision. May he rest in peace.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

"America the Beautiful" Live versions he did of that song, amazing...

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ditto, snapper... one of my all-time favorites. The music world is a little dimmer with his passing. Thanks for the tunes, and God Bless, Ray Charles

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I can't think of anything Ray Charles recorded that is not spectacular...right now I am listening to a cut called "Ruby"...next up will be "Georgia". Snapperbait...you be right about the Ray Charles version of "America the Beautiful"<br /> :cool:

gaugeguy

Captain

Seven Spanish Angels<br /><br />Yesterday they took another angel home :(

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

his country album is still one of the best selling<br />in music history. his duet with billy joel "baby<br />grand" would be MY fav.<br />thanks Ray :)

crab bait

Captain

seen him in alittle bar down U of D back in mid 80's,, the stone balloon.. which always has nat'l acts playin' there.. seen 3rd eye blind an train ( drops of jupiter ) there last summer..<br /><br />ray was da bomb.. i knew when i saw him it was one-of-those-LIFE-events.....<br /><br />so was the RAYETTES...

Raghauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

He was a an American treasure, shaping the music scene for more than four decades, and will be missed.<br /><br />Here's a favorite Link of mine...

LadyFish

Admiral

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> "America the Beautiful" Live versions he did of that song, amazing...
Playing on my radio right this minute and it IS the best!<br /><br />It gives my goose bumps, goose bumps. :)

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

America the beautiful gives me goosebumps almost every time that i listen to that song, it evokes in me such strong feelings of pride.<br />With the death of Ray Charles America has lost <br />another of it's national treasures.<br /> RIP Ray.