Ratcheting sound shifting an '85 OMC 400

kponhlo

Cadet
I have an '85 OMC 400 Stringer - mechanical shift. Its off and upper is apart for bearing replacement. During its last run in the driveway, it ratcheted when going into gear; I don't remember if it was F or R or both. What could cause such a thing? Lower oil is clean. I can pull the lower apart too; I'm just wanting to get the boat back on the water soon...should I tear it down the rest of the way or is there something else to look at? <br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br /><br />-Keith

motox6

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Ratcheting sound shifting an '85 OMC 400

Is the ratcheting constant? Most outdrive will have a slight ratcheting when engaging fwd and reverse

kponhlo

Cadet

No, its not constant...just when shifting into gear. It sounded like my 5-speed car when I go from N to 1st and the synchros aren't lined up - on the car I can double clutch, but the outdrive's a different story. It may have chattered before - I've been preoccupied with a spun upper bearing that made a lot more noise welding itself together :( <br /><br />If its a normal or relatively normal thing I'm happy to know it. Its my first outdrive that I've owned or been close to, so I'm getting used to its noises.

D

DJ

Make sure your shifts are quick and sure. Do not SLIDE the shifter into gear.

motox6

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm with DJ it sounds normal, just shift quick and positive

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

It seems that this ratcheting noise happens on my I/O out drive too. I asked a friend of mine and he said that, it is normal as the gear is engaging when you move the shifter either forwards or reverse. Just like motox6 said, "just shift quick and positive."