Ratcheting in reverse

Kman530

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so I changed the lower shift cable on my Gen 2 and followed the adjustments per the manual. With the engine off and in forward gear, the prop locks. Neutral - no sound and free spins. Reverse the prop locks in the correct direction like it should. Fired it up on muffs, forward gear normal sounding. going into reverse it ratcheting before going into gear. So much that I can visually see the shift cable moving back and forth. I don’t recall ever putting the outdrive in reverse on muffs before so maybe this is normal until a load is applied in the water? Or should I start adjusting the slide arm on the shift plate? I would think it wouldn’t lock at all if that adjustment was off. I’ll also add that I have a SS prop. Thanks!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
If you're 'easing' it into gear, it'll do that... 'Drop' it into gear. Single positive action. No ggggggggggrinding...

And yes, on muffs with no load on the prop, the slightest variation in engine revs will cause the dogs to overrun (and you may see 'bouncing' on the cable).

Chris......

jws123

Petty Officer 1st Class
Like said above you are probably putting it into gear to slow common mistake.

Kman530

Seaman Apprentice
If you're 'easing' it into gear, it'll do that... 'Drop' it into gear. Single positive action. No ggggggggggrinding...

And yes, on muffs with no load on the prop, the slightest variation in engine revs will cause the dogs to overrun (and you may see 'bouncing' on the cable).

Chris......
Thanks for the reply! So I did try throwing it into reverse in a single positive action while on muffs and still had the grinding with the cable bouncing. I guess next I’ll throw it in the water and see if it repeats under a load. If it does, should I adjust the shift arm that the cable attaches too? Currently it’s in the lowest position.