RANT!! What would you think ???

Xcusme

Commander
Something happened last weekend that really frosts my A$$.<br /><br />My lady friend (Mary) donates blood at a local church every year, for the last 12 years to be exact.<br />This year was no exception, she donated blood last Saturday.<br />She works at a hospital as a PCT (2 years).<br />She was called into work on Sunday, the following day.<br /><br />Late on Sunday evening, a phone call comes in from the blood bank asking for Mary.<br />Mary is at work, so her mother answers the call.<br /><br />The person wants to speak to Mary regarding her blood donation, it's been rejected.<br />The mom asks what's the problem, what's wrong?<br /><br />She's told that because of legal reasons, he can't give out any personal information, and to have Mary call him ASAP.<br />Mom tells the man, "I'm her mother, can't you tell me??"<br />"Sorry", he says, he can only talk to Mary.<br />He tells her that he comes in the office at 5:30AM and to have Mary call him straight away.<br /><br />Mary comes home from work and is given the details of the call. She's very nervous , as one might expect, working in a hospital around all kinds of sick people. Needless to say, she didn't get any sleep that night wondering what the bad news would bring in the morning.<br /><br />Mary starts calling a 5:30am....no answer, at 5:45am..no answer....<br />She tries to call every 5 minutes until 6:15am when she has to leave and go back to the hospital, no answer.<br /><br />At the hospital, Mary informs the head nurse of the news and asks if she can take a short break and make the dreaded call.<br />The nurse said 'Of course...and I'll sit with you while you make that call'. As you might guess, this was more than just for moral support, the hospital has their patients to think about.<br /><br />Mary calls the blood bank and states that she is returning their call, and gives them her name......she's put on hold.....<br /><br />After waiting for an eternity, a woman comes on the line and says' (now get this!)<br /><br />" Oh , there's NO PROBLEM with your blood, we're having a problem with the SPELLING OF YOUR LAST NAME"<br /><br />Mary was outraged, and rightly so. This is unforgivable. The absolute incompetence of some people. Wouldn't a normal person have said something less sinister?? They led everyone to believe that it was a very serious matter. What the hell, she has been on file with them for 12 years and her mother answered the call !!<br /><br />When I heard of the final outcome of all of this , I too, was ticked. So mad, I called their midwest corporate offices and spoke to a director. He said that their personnel are instructed to give as few details as necessary, and in cases like this to say that they need more information and to have the person return their call.<br /><br />I told him, that in this case, they really dropped the ball. He agreed with me but it is little comfort for a very long, sleepless night spent worrying. He said that he would personally pass this on 'higher up' and said we would receive a response via mail.<br /><br />We haven't heard a thing, either by mail, or a simple phone call, explaining anything. My next move it to use that same phone, and call a friend at the media. Perhaps then, I'll get a response. <br /><br />BTW, Mary said she will never donate blood again...period...it's not worth it.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: RANT!! What would you think ???

An outrageous tale, Xcusme. Unfortunately it's a sign of the times. Might be an over-simplification but maybe it will help Tort Reform take on a new level of understanding.<br /><br />There is absolutely no room for discretion or personal judgement today because some one will take you to court and the court will accept the case.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

The person could have said simply, "There is a clerical error that needs correction."....

ob

Admiral

Originally posted by Parrott_head:<br /> The person could have said simply, "There is a clerical error that needs correction."....
I completely agree with that observation.Wonder what their comments would be to that.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

That's HIPPA for you. Friend who is a doctor says they can't leave answering machine messages with lab results, good or bad. He doesn't want his patients to have sleepless nights or weekends (ever waited on lab results?) so he has a kind of code: if it's good news he ends the message with, "have a good weekend, don't worry about a thing."<br /><br />I hope Mary reconsiders after she's had a chance to cool down. Sad to let one person's thoughtless words deprive her of the opportunity to serve the community.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

I HOPE MARY RECONSIDERS HER DECISION NOT TO DONATE IN THE FUTURE, SHE PROBABLY HAS HAD MANY MOMENT OF COMFORT KNOWING THAT SHE GAVE OF HERSELF A PRECIOUS GIFT OF LIFE TO SOME ONE IN NEED. ALSO SHE DOES GET THE FREE BENEFIT OF A SCREENING FOR CONTAGOUSE BLOOD BOURNE PATHOGENS SINCE SHE HANGS OUT IN A HOSPITAL.

Xcusme

Commander

Originally posted by ob:<br />
Originally posted by Parrott_head:<br /> The person could have said simply, "There is a clerical error that needs correction."....
I completely agree with that observation.Wonder what their comments would be to that.
I couldn't agree more !! Sometimes, just a simple, clearly stated statement is all that's needed.<br /><br />For sure, there are bad feelings about all of this. I too hope that Mary reconsiders her decision. If someone didn't get needed blood because of some clayhead pencil pusher, then I guess we would all lose in the long run.<br /><br />Thanks for the feedback...it really helps.

ob

Admiral

If nothing else ,at least a genuine apology.Of course they may have to tiptoe around that issue because of admitted wrongdoing.An unfortunate situation.Tell Mary she has a fan club.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Your government at work for you. Darn they suck!

KaGee

Admiral

Yea...<br /><br />And to think some people want them to control the healthcare system. :eek: