Rant GRRRRR.......

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
Ok We bought a new to us 2001 Grand Caravan in July. When we purchased the vehical we also got the added on extra super duper waranty. We payed $900+ for it and its a 36,000 miles or 3 yr deal and it covers everything ( almost) We are bit out of town so we allready put 23000-24,000 on it. Anyway on Dec 26th the battary goes kaput, but its covered so they tell us to go buy a new one and send them the receipt. And that is what we do. Now on the 1st of Jan. My wife leaves to go to work and all the lights on the dash go on and it wouldnt shift out of first gear. Well I and my mechanic FIL figure its a computer problem. We call the waranty people and they say bring to a mechanic, we do and yep it some part on the Computer.......These nobs say were not gonna cover it because when I put the battary in I must of crossed a wire or something. Not even possable it was an easy simple job and we drove the car for 5 days after aI replaced the battary and before this problem happened. Im normally a reasonable guy but I tell you what :mad: Im ready to go down there and take care of business. Its $750. ARGGGGGGGGG. Anybody deal with something like this before? :confused:

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rant GRRRRR.......

Hey Mike...just take the battery receipt with ya' cause it has the date it was bought. If ya' run it for 5 days before the problem.....should be a no-brainer. OR.....be very curtious and explain the situation with all facts and figures relating to the difference of opinion. If that don't work....jump on the desk and start drooling profusely from the mouth......these....people...lot of times will do anything to keep from paying.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

yes Im thinking they are alot like the insurance companies. Its $750 bucks so Im willing to go the distance with these buttheads, drooling and all like you said.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

A lot of good this advice is now, M & R, but I'd never buy a used car warranty unless it is offered by the manufacturer.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Call the BBB, sometimes they can help with these guys if you just give them a call.<br /><br />Ken

NOSLEEP

Commander

Its a little late now. But never spend your <br />hard earned money on a aftermarket warranty.<br />Only a manufactures used or new Warranty from<br />a reputable dealer.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Get a second opinion. As a former mechanic I can not even imagine any wires that can be crossed when installing a new battery, especially any wires that will fry the control module! Take it to a few different independant mechanics and maybe even a dodge mechanic from another town, get their opinion, then return to the dealer armed with this info and the name and number of a good lawyer. They are lyin to you to get out of paying up.<br />Even the negative and posative battery terminals can't be reversed on that when installing because the terminals are different sizes.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Check your local AutoZone (if you have one)for the computer.Local GM dealer tryed to charge me $600 plus inst.I got one for $98. at AutoZone.If it's to late---maybee it will be some help when you sue there a$$

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

DD at first they said take it to where we wanted, we went to the local Dodge dealer, then after the guy called them and told them what was wrong they then said to my wife that we were suposed to take it to thier guy (whose qoute was even more).If I have to I will get a lawyer. You guys are all probably right about not getting these warantys but at the time it was the nicest car we ever bought and we thought it would be the smart move to make since it will take 2 more yrs to pay off. Hind sight is 20/20.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Ok and lets say they do try to continue to give us the run around and we sue, what can they lose? just the money that it cost to fix the car or could they be sued for more? Not that im looking to make a buck but it seems to me its the smart gamble for them to do this to everybody and if they get sued then they will pay up but maybe some people let them get away with it. If thats the case Im in the wrong line of work.Then again i like to pride my business dealings on my integrety

KaGee

Admiral

I only bought an extended warranty one time... for my wifey's car. Never had to use it. But it was a Ford Warranty, honored all over the country. Any Ford dealer has to honor the warranty no matter where you are or they jepardize their franchise.<br /><br />The dealer I do most of my business with quit selling third party warranties due to problems like you have now Mike. The insurers want to sell the contract, but do not want to pay when the time comes.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Well the guy that we bought the van from is very reputable and seems to be very honest. I am thinking of calling him tomarrow. The funny thing is a week ago we were talking about extending it again. fat chance now.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Start drooling Mike.......

aspeck

Staff member

Mike, call the guy you bought the warranty from. Explain the situation and tell him how unhappy you are with the WARRANTY company. Explain that it has left a bitter taste in your mouth over the sale of the vehicle. Salesman like happy, returning customers, so he may go to bat for you.<br /><br />Aftermarket warranties are the worst. When we had our dealership we would not work on anyones car that had one, unless it was a GM warranty. GM warranty we knew we would get paid.<br /><br />Note to all - the mark-up on aftermarket warranties is incredible, as much as 100% or even more. Chances are you will save money by putting the money you would spend for the warranty in the bank. Let it earn interest for you, pay your "warranty work" out of that account, then at the end of the warranty period, go buy your spouse a nice gift with what is left.<br /><br />Sorry for the info after the fact, but maybe it will help others.<br /><br />Good luck, Mike, and fight them any way you can. They are trying to take advantage of you!

crab bait

Captain

don't you know anythin'. :) .!!<br /><br />you can't just change the battery anymore..!! least ways not in the normal way that your used to.. you'll fry the computor..<br /><br />gotta have a 'power jumper' across the wires before changing.. that ways the vehicle never knows the battery was removed..

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I didn't know that crabby....should this be in the service manual.....I mean owneres manual??

D

DJ

gotta have a 'power jumper' across the wires before changing.. that ways the vehicle never knows the battery was removed..<br />
Gotta be careful doing that. Otherwise. POOF!!! :eek: I don't don't mean this thread either. :D <br /><br />Try the selling dealer first. If no help there, go to small claims court. It's cheap and simple to do.

NathanY

Commander

Well did you call him? What did he say? I talked to a friend of mine regarding these third party warranties, as he is a very bid dealer around here, and he says that these warranties are not worth the paper that they are written on. He says that he wont even carry them any more. If a car that he sells has a problem, he will do what he can to take care of it with little or no cost to buyer.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Ok well heres the deal as of today, They originally thought it was the PCM (the doo-hicky that communicates to the trany from the computer)After they replaced that at a cost of $750 it turns out that is a symptom not the problem. The waranty people agreed to pay for the pcm but now are balking at going any farther so I may have to go to court on this. My question now is if I were to sue them what is the most I can hope for? As I stated earlier what will stop him from refusing if the worst he will have to do is pay for this. Are there peneltys or any other things I could add on to make it a better idea for him to just do whats right. It states in my papers that it is covered. Oh and Crabby are you serious about the whole changeing a battery thing? I mean it ran fine for days before this happened and I would think they would put it in the owners manual if it was a nessasry thing. My family is just keeping our heads above water right now and as sad as it my seem something like this could sink us.

ehenry

Commander

Extended warranties arent worth the paper they're printed on. Sorta like WorldCom stock certificates. I learned the hard way just like you are Mike. The last two vehicles I've bought, the dealerships lobbied me hard to buy this extended warranty they had. I told them they could go hang that paper work in their men's room cause thats all it was good for.<br /><br />Buy a Toyota and you won't need an extended warranty. :cool: