Ranger Trailer Breaks Lockup In Reverse

silva

Recruit
Is There Any Way I Can By-pass My Breaks On My Ranger Tandem Trailer.

D

DJ

Re: Ranger Trailer Breaks Lockup In Reverse

Is There Any Way I Can By-pass My Breaks On My Ranger Tandem Trailer.

Really BAD idea.

Find out what is wrong.

There are some things to look at.

1. Axles grease soaked brake linings.

2. Worn out brake linings.

3. Brake shoes in wrong placement. That is actually quite common. The primary shoe put in the wrong postion as to the secondary. Easy mistake but doing so makes the brakes lock up on application.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

I dont know if this applys to your trailer, but on my fathers triple axle with surge, he has a lockout silonoid that when the truck is put into reverse the 5th wire activates this switch allowing it to go in reverse. Without it trailer wont move. Pushing boat around the farm with the tractor we screw in two 3/8 bolts on both sides of the surge so it cant slide in.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

lock out solenoid, as said above. some have a lock out pin.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The title of your post says "brakes lock up in reverse". That's what they are supposed to do because that's the way they work. Same effect as moving forward -- when stopping, the pushing force of the trailer against the coupler activates the brakes. when backing up the pushing force of the tow vehicle activates the brakes. Insert the lockout pin or activate the reverse lockout mechanism, or install a reversing solenoid.

Wotam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

>"brakes lock up in reverse". That's what they are supposed to do because that's the way they work."

Most of the newer trailers with surge brakes will have 'free-backing' setups.

The shoe configuration prevents the brakes from binding and locking in reverse. If you don't have free-backing shoes they are available as a retrofit kit for most trailers... see champion trailers or other vendors.

Disc brakes require that you insert a pin to prevent them from locking in reverse or install an electrically activated lockout solenoid.