Random

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Probably not the correct forum to post this in, but here goes anyways.
Recently I needed to wire up a utility trailer with new LED lights and the supplied wire kit. However, after two days of soldering each and every connection to include separate grounds to the trailer AND back to the plug harness, only one side marker light worked when I tested it all out.
You can imagine my total shock see this. I've wired lots of trailers and such and never had any issues with any lights failing to work. SOOOOOOO I got out the Fluke multimeter and started testing to see what was wrong. To my amazement, seems the cheap crappy wire had breaks inside the insulation. AND not just one place or two. Many breaks inside the insulation. So I removed every wire and bought quality new wires to do it all again.
As I researched such wires I notice a lot of wire listed as CCA wire. I thought this was some great new quality version they came out with... Not even close! CCA actually stands for Copper Clad Aluminum. Seems they are now trying to pawn off wire that on the surface looks nice, but it merely copper plated aluminum... Not for me, but I didn't know if I was the last human being to know what is going on in the wire industry. Of course this type wire is coming from an out of country source...for figure that out, not hard! Just thought I would post about it so other can be award of CCA wire...

airshot

Rear Admiral
I have gotten into the habit of checking each wire in long runs before making connections. It seems much of the light duty wire today is if poorer quality than it used to be.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Tinned copper wire is the best for use with exposure to the elements, especially water

It is more expensive than regular copper strand but when you need it to work there's no point skimping on quality. Tough doing a job twice

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I try to use marine rated wire for most repairs . And sealed, shrink type connecters. It’s been working well for several years now. Correct running the grounds to each light to. Led lights are perfect for me, but I’m not in salt either.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
A little update. After removing that crappy junk wire and starting over with known tested quality new wire, every light now works perfect the fist time. Well...ah...I guess this is now the second time... However, I did the exact same wiring technique I did the first time. But cheap crappy out-of-country manufactured wire just can't be relied on anymore. Live and learn...always learning new things still!

airshot

Rear Admiral
The problem with all this prepackaged stuff today, you never now for sure what is in there !! Its a crapshoot unless you buy everything seperate to your own specs.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

aspeck

Staff member
Somebody was needing to change their shorts! I am guessing a little bit of soiling occurred!