Ranch "entry gate"

Rickfifty

Seaman
Long story, short version: Dad broke his neck earlier this year(fishing). He lives on a small ranch and has wanted one of those "things" that go over the entry gate, might hold a sign. Not sure what they are called. 2 tall poles with one going across. Anyway, I'd like to put one up for him for Christmas. Any ideas on what materials to use? Telephone pole sized posts seem a little big. Also, how would one construct it? Build it on the ground and somehow hoist it? Put up the posts and then add the crossbeam? Contract it out? (money is an issue). Any ideas would be appreciated. Is this the wrong forum?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ranch "entry gate"

If you have to ask, you probably need to contract it out, Rick.<br /><br />In CA I would use skinned evergreen poles. Have lodgepole pines around there?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I think you dig the two holes for the posts, build the arch flat on the ground, then get a few friends to help stand/slide it into the holes. Fill holes with concrete.<br /><br />A simple design is two 4x4 or 6x6 pressure treated posts with a 2x12 bolted across them about 18" from the top. Use a saber saw to cut whatever arrow head end design you want on the 2x12. Cut the posts to a pyramid top with circular or hand saw. Add a second 2x12 or 2x10 across the back behind the 2x12 sandwitching the posts between them. Through bolt the 2x's and posts together using galvanized 1/2" threaded stock, nuts & washers. This will keep the 2x12 from warping and keep the posts from twisting.<br /><br />Be sure to make it high enough to clear delivery trucks if there is no other entrance to the property. Generally speaking, the height should be about 1.5 times the width for an appealing majestic look. Use a router to carve whatever text you want into the top, or carve or burn it in with hot metal rod.<br /><br />The posts can be archetecturally enhanced by applying 1x pressure treated boards to the bottom 3 or 5 foot of the posts. That will build up the 4x4 to 6x6, giving it a more substancial look, tapering to 4x4 higher up. Cut the 1x's at a 45* angle on the ends so water tends to run off and it will look nice.<br /> <br />If it works, send me a gallon of TCW3 oil in compensation for my design efforts. :D

Rickfifty

Seaman

Mark, that's the type of design I was looking for. Thanks.<br /><br />Is that oil synthetic or dino?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yup. That's the sort of thing I visualized, Jim.

18rabbit

Captain

Rick – Fremont is in Alameda County so I can almost guarantee you that to do this right you will need a permit because you are creating a structure over 6-ft tall. Basically, anything you can walk into, on, or under requires a building permit. Arbors, those arched things plants grow on over a walkway need a permit.<br /><br />Getting a permit involves submitting plans to the building dept. They want to see a plan of how this thing will be constructed; they are looking to see where two pieces of wood come together they are joined by metal braces/strapping, etc. They also want to see how big the posts are (dia, length), and how the posts are set in the ground, how deep, how much concrete around them, etc. For a given size post there is a limit as to how high it can stand and what kind and shape of concrete footing is required. What they are after is to make sure this thing doesn't blow down in a high wind and kill someone. I'm guessing there is probably a requirement for setback from the property, too. Might be important if you are putting this thing near a public road.<br /><br />And you will likely need to submit a drawing that details an overview of size/shape and what is on the property, buildings and trees, etc. In Alameda Co, any tree with a trunk over 8-in dia is protected, $10k fine (per tree) for removing them without the county’s blessing, unless it is a Monterey pine. Those trees can be removed (reference the fire in the Oakland hills several years ago).<br /><br />If you are in the Fremont hills you’ll probably be given a ‘go’. If you are in the flat lands (track housing) I doubt your project will be blessed. To do this right you should start at Fremont’s building permit dept. They should have a handout they can give you with all of the criteria on it. You can also ask if it’s ok to have such a structure where your dad lives. On the other hand, you can blow off the whole permit thing and just go for it. Not likely to be an issue unless someone complains.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by 18rabbit:<br /> Rick – Fremont is in Alameda County so I can almost guarantee you that to do this right you will need a permit because...
Holy moly. Last year we lifted our camp with a crane, set it down in the driveway, built a full, poured basement for it, lifted it back on to the new foundation. All the building permit said was "repair foundation"! What a difference location makes!

Rickfifty

Seaman

18Rabbit, good points about the permit. Though the project will be in a rural area of Amador county, they might still want a permit. Jim in Orlando, thanks for the link!