Ran 3hp Yachtwin without prop for 10 mins- should I worry?

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
I ran the motor in a barrel for 10 minutes or so at about 1/4 to half throttle. The engine did not seem to be racing or “screaming” and sounded ok. It was pumping water and didn’t overhead. I read that running with no prop is bad. Did I hurt anything?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I kind of doubt you hurt anything, but I certainly wouldn't recommend continued running at that RPM under no-load conditions for an extended time. The reciprocating load on connecting rod bearings is different when running no-load vs loaded. A chainsaw is built to take it, but that poor little 3hp isn't. Just don't make a habit of it.

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
I kind of doubt you hurt anything, but I certainly wouldn't recommend continued running at that RPM under no-load conditions for an extended time. The reciprocating load on connecting rod bearings is different when running no-load vs loaded. A chainsaw is built to take it, but that poor little 3hp isn't. Just don't make a habit of it.

I felt so dumb when I saw that like oh man why didn’t I think of that. I certainly won’t do it again! Thanks for al least making me feel better about it