Raleigh 1996 VS New Orleans 2006

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer
How many people haved lived THROUGH a hurricane?<br /><br />Mine was Fran 1996 - the eye of the storm collapsed over Raleigh NC, we were without power for 2 full weeks, trees were everwhere, at the coast entire homes were wiped out like in biloxi and others.<br /><br />fran estimate includes $1.275 billion in North Carolina damages.<br /><br />Over 4 million people were evacuated from the coastal regions.<br /><br />The damage was tremendous same conditions - no water, the city could get is waste treatement back on line becuase 1 it was flooded and 2 no power.<br /><br />Now we were not trapped by the flood waters like NO was.<br /><br />But I feel that it was a total FUBAR by the local and state leadership to not prepare for this type situation.<br /><br />To recommend that 20,000 people go to the dome was just stupid. <br /><br />The leadership should have evacuated this people as soon as the hurricane was approaching shore.<br /><br />Hindsight is 20-20 but EVERYONE at the time was predicating a direct hit on NO.<br /><br />Here in NC if the prediction was like NO they have MANDATORY evacuation of all people. <br /><br />They know in NC that the cost to evacuate AFTER the storm is way higher than anything prior to the storm.<br /><br />Tomatolord

Vlad D Impeller

Commander
Re: Raleigh 1996 VS New Orleans 2006

I went through Andrew in south Louisiana prior to moving to Texas, it was a terrifying experience :(

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Went through Alica in 1984 in Baytown, TX didnt bother me a bit. Only minor damage to homes in my area except for the below sea level homes were wiped out. Our house didnt even loose a shingle.<br /><br /> http://www.usatoday.com/weather/huricane/history/walicia.htm <br /><br />But I wont stay for another one cause these things are too unpredictable and I really can't put my life above the stuff I own. I have millions of places to go, no reason not to leave.<br /><br />Ken

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

many...<br /><br />Near direct hits by:<br />David. (my first)<br />Erin.<br />Irene.<br />Frances. One year ago, this labor day weekend...<br />Jeanne. Exactly three weeks after Frances..<br />Plus a few more inconcequential storms that I can't recall the names of..<br /><br />Been brushed by the outer effects of many others... Andrew and Charlie (last year) come to mind...<br /><br />The major problem we (south florida) have now is a huge population and limited evacuation routes that, contrary to popular opinion; CAN NOT handle the traffic of a full-on evacuation.... <br /><br />I'll make it very clear that I DO NOT want to ride out a major hurricane here, but sometimes evacuating is not an option........That is unless you fancy the thought of dying of carbon monixide poisioning while sitting in interstate gridlock... (i tried that last year) ;)

Twidget

Commander

1 hurricane in Georgia, early 60's<br />1 Typhoon on Guam, mid 60's<br /> Frederick in Pensacola, 1980 or so<br />1 Typhoon in the middle of the pacific...shipboard 1981 We were trying to get out of the way.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sure, T'lord.<br /><br />The city, parish and state are gonna have a fleet of a thousand busses, fueled up and ready to tour NO and deliver everybody to safety. That is if they are willing to go and they don't shoot and rob the drivers.<br /><br />What is FUBAR is your sense of reality.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I think I was 8 when camille came ashore. I lived on sunset blvd in pascagoula MS at the time. we moved to grandbay then to mobile some years later and now I live back home in Kitty hawk NC. seen my share of blows and near misses, seen my share of dead things in the water and brush piles. spent my share of time putting things back together and living under a tarp. I hope this disaster is a wake up call for the current and future administrations. as our population increases natural disaters will become more intense and costly. I think some of the problem is the media tends to focus on where the eye will hit, when hurricane force winds extend for 100 miles and the storm is 400 miles across in a pond the size of the gulf 25 miles east or west is a direct hit. this is one of the first times a major US city has been destroyed. a storm this size in our area would kill hundreds of thousands and cripple the country. could you imagine a storm this size taking a direct shot on norfolk VA? its happened before in the past. could happen again this year or next or never. DC is only just up the river from Norfolk and the cheasapeake bay. a storm moving 10MPH with hurricane force winds extending for 200 miles will push water over a vast area of maryland,newjersy,virginia and coastal carolinas, the flooding from the mountains to our west will be almost as devestating as the storm surge. the storm, like Katrina, will have some feeling hurricane force winds for up to 20 hours. most structures here wont take it that long. the new orleans debacle has been studied to death for 3 decades, maybe a tad longer. this is no suprise but a well documented scene, the resaon why the levees were not built to withstand a cat 4 or higher storm surge was simple economics. the cost/benifit ratio was studied and the feds decided that the cost of building the levee system to withstand a cat five surge was not worth it. they rolled the dice but this time it came up 3's and 8's. was a losing roll. the sandbagging going on now is a joke. they should be using dredges to pump sand off the lake bottom. we did it after isabelle to repair a much larger breach and with way worse currents and tide changes. a sikorsky skycrane is more than capeable of carrying a dredge barge and the crews rotate in 8 hour shifts yet the dredge pumps 24 hours a day. my opinion is to pump out the city, raze it. remove any hazardous stuff and not rebuild. would be cheaper for the feds, using our tax dollars, to buy out the folks and allow them to move elsewhere. or after the rebuild, or maybe before, the levee system needs to be made to handle a cat 5 surge. it will happen again, no doubts about it. hurricanes, like wildfires and earthquakes are a fact of life. who is president at the time will be irrelevant. while the events of 9/11 were and are tragic it affected about 10 blocks of real estate. this one affects a land mass about the size of kansas or so they say.the cost of rebuilding new orleans will far outweigh the bennies. the entire infastructue as well as the soils themselves will have to be decontaminated and rebuilt. all the pumping stations, water systems, electrical grids and sewage systems are gone now. not to mention the houses and buildings that will stand for the next 2 or 3 months in water. save the high spots that did not flood and forbid building on the rest. or fix the levvees so this cant happen again. this is a terrible disater that will affect the entire US, maybe more. however it will happen again. always does. maybe next year maybe long after I am gone but rest assured it will happen again some place some time.had this storm moved west and hit the galveston houston area the devestation would have been about as bad. had it hit the norflok area or the chesapeake bay area it possibly could have been worse. and the possibility is always there each season. could you imagine the DC area after an event this size? our govt would be crippled. but as long as uncontrolled federally subsidized building on flood and hurricane vunerable coasts this problem will grow worse each year.to reccomend 20,000 people to the dome was not foolish. to not prepare to move them as soon as the winds quit was. there was no other place to go. had those 20K stayed in their homes the death toll would have been absolutly horrendous, it already is. the army, marine corp, airforce and navy along with the guard should have been ready to move monday evening. everyone knew it was going to be big and most likly new orleans was going to flood as most knew the Levees were not designed for a surge that big. was a no brainer. no the problem will be how to assimilate about 1 million people into other parts of the US. this will include housing and employment. will be a tougher challenge than the middle east ever thought about being. I really dont have the confidence our govt is up to the task. having watched evacuations for years its amazes me how stupid the people and the govt actually are. in my area if you wait till the day before you wont make it off the coast. traffic comes to a stand still. and does it for miles and miles. its amazing how many people here evacuated for isabelle and went to elizabeth city. even those that went to richmond got whacked. I really think a total overhaul of emergency management needs to be done. from evacuations to post storm plans.we have seen enough in the past 20 years or so to fully realize that the area impacted has no public infastructue. no fire, no police, no public health, mostly nothing. why isnt there a contingency for other areas and the military/guard to immediatly move in with mobile coms centers and police? most of the new orleans fire,police and public safety was decimated. its hard to be a cop or fireman when all you knew and had just got turned upside down. happens with every storm every year. yet the same plans are done and the same complaints are made yet nothing changes.its not just this administration or the last. its been a problem and its a growing problem. each major storm is a "suprise" to the athorities. but mark my words and take them to the bank. as the population grows this will not be the worst, there will be others.whether its a tsunami/earthquake on the west coast or an eathquake or volcanic erption in the mid west or even a mega tsunami or eruption of mount rainer it will come. sooner or later it will come. not much can be done to stop it but the plans must be in place to react. has anyone read the damage estimates when mt rainer blows? or when yellow stone goes off again? or when the canaries split in half? its all a long slow process, I probably wont be alive when it happens but happen it will. the records of the past indicate it will do it in the future. can we stop it? nope. do I worry about it? nope. but I do think there was a failure of timely response to specific areas of the gulf coast. we know the vunerable spots, we know the storm surge. the gulf has been hit enough that predictions are in place. if you have never witnessed a storm surge its incredible. water levels will change 10ft or more in less than 30 min. but as the population grows so will the size and scope of natural disasters. both here and around the globe. it is very grateful to see how the american people respond to this and other storms and natural disasters. its amazing how many people walk off their jobs to go assist. its amazing how many donate and send things when they dont have much to send. but it does not detract from the fact that for years the affected area has been known that when the big one hits what will happen. they always holler about evacuation yet no place is availible to evacuate to. so ya bail out. where do you bail out to? seems its a flaw in the planning. the super dome was never designed as a shelter. however it was a life boat when needed. why it was not evacuated by the navy,airforce and army/marine corps monday afternoon or tuesday morning is beyond me. all knew that the sewage/water and electrical systems would fail almost instantly. yet they are still there. hundreds of mothballed ships all over the country and none that are temporary shelters. hundreds of military bases with no plans to be rapidly converted to shelters. I cant believe the race card is being played. the area of new orleans was a majority black area. so it stands to reason that many blacks would be affected. the ratio would have been a lot less had it hit our area. or the texas gulf coast. but I think the response time would have been the same. its shameful but at least its moving. and once moving, like the storm surge it will be unstoppable. take that to the bank as well.well I guess its the end of a rant that went on to long

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

JB what was FUBAR was me thinking the state and local govt in Louisiana to be effecient in preparing and or responding to such and event.<br /><br />Here in NC the state and local govt have plans for hurricanes - granted the plans are not perfect, but at least people are moving before and after the event occurs.<br /><br />Sadly it had to take a tradgedy of this size to make these other states prepare for future events.<br /><br />- rodbolt - like you said and I agree with you - few if any cities in the US could withstand this type of hurricane - the issue is do you walk away from the 1st 100 miles of coastland? Stay away from the mountains? Rivers etc.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I was in Portland, TX when Celia hit in 1970. I was 10. Our home lost facia and all the lower floors carpets were toast. No power for a couple of weeks. <br /><br />For me at that age, frankly, it was fun. What I remember most is HUGE barbecues as most of our friends and neighbors had freezers chock full of beef . . . We literally got togteher at a different house every nite and just cooked and cooked and ate and ate.<br /><br />Also, there were no fences left standing in the entire town. We met neighbors we had never known as they were now visible from the back yard. There was lumber and scrap everywhere. We made the coolest forts you could imagine. We stripped down telephone wires and made stuff out of the colored wires.<br /><br />There was also curfews and the National Guard and that stuff too, but again, for me it was like a big playground.<br /><br />I am not suggesting that this is the experience for most, but kids do see things differently . . .

oddjob

Commander

Originally posted by snapperbait:<br /> many...<br /><br />Near direct hits by:<br />David. (my first)<br />Erin.<br />Irene.<br />Frances. One year ago, this labor day weekend...<br />Jeanne. Exactly three weeks after Frances..<br />Plus a few more inconcequential storms that I can't recall the names of..<br /><br />Been brushed by the outer effects of many others... Andrew and Charlie (last year) come to mind...<br /><br />The major problem we (south florida) have now is a huge population and limited evacuation routes that, contrary to popular opinion; CAN NOT handle the traffic of a full-on evacuation.... <br /><br />I'll make it very clear that I DO NOT want to ride out a major hurricane here, but sometimes evacuating is not an option........That is unless you fancy the thought of dying of carbon monixide poisioning while sitting in interstate gridlock... (i tried that last year) ;)
Ditto, I started with Andrew down here. Before that I dodged ( barely ) hand full of typhoons in Okinawa years ago as well as a few tornadoes in harrison co KY as a kid.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I forgot we were flooded out of our Brownwood home (a subdivision here in Baytown that is now gone). We went to sleep being told the tropical storm was no threat, woke up at 2 am with water in our house. Had to be rescued by the national guard. I was about 5.<br /><br />The only thing I remember was me being carried though chest deep water by my father. Also remember seing water from the bay running over the road into our front yard.<br /><br />Ken