Raising a transom

Fishgeek

Recruit
I'm thinking hard about switching over to a jet for my jonboat. If I do, I know I will need to raise my transom about 5-6 inches. My question is, how high is too high? My alumacraft 1448 has modified hull which makes the transom 16" at the center. If I found a longshaft motor & converted it to a jet then I would have to raise the transom about 9-10". Is that acceptable? I know the obvious question is "Why don't you just find a short shaft?" That would be my preference, but I seem to be having some trouble finding a short shaft tiller that's a 30 or 35hp. I've found quite a few long shaft.

I know the higer you go on the transom the more stress it will be. So what's too high?

Thanks!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Raising a transom

Jack plate or short shaft engine. Jerry rigging is usually a bad idea.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Raising a transom

103_6238.jpg103_6240.jpg103_6239.jpg

It is not a question of how high, it is a question of how it is done. Here are some photos of a transom raised 5 inches and braced into the splashwell. It is covered on both sides with .080 hard aluminum. I could have used wood but this one was filled with fiberglass. I actually wet out home insulation with resin and packed it into the hollow. It cost way less than a jackplate but on the negative, it is not adjustable. Notice how high the engine clamps are?