Raise & Tilt Rams Leaking ; Chrysler 130

rikkiron

Cadet
Have leaking Rams ; out here in Aussie have not had much success in having the problem rectified ; can I obtain reconditioned Rams ??? or is there a kit for the o-rings etc so I can recon myself ; if so how dificult ; and how much ; Quotation in U.S.$ OK ; can sort out exchange rate here . Thanks Ronsorpio

Laddies

Banned
Re: Raise & Tilt Rams Leaking ; Chrysler 130

Ron, I am not a Chrysler guy but it looks to me like your engine is about a 1972 or 73 at one time there were kits for the cyls. but I don't know if they are availibe any more and the local Mercury dealer don't even want to talk about a Chrysler engine. I wonder if you could find a hyd. repair station in your area, I try to get most of my hyd. parts that way here, they cost about 15 cents on the dollar compared to the marine prices.Good Luck Bob

rikkiron

Cadet

Hi ! Bob ; Thanks for the advice ; did not think about going in that direction ; will look into it ; sure there are plenty of Hydrolics out here ; once again Thanks a million ; Ron scorpio

rikkiron

Cadet

Hi! Bob ; I checked the Hydrolic places out; only a couple actually do Rams for marine; the majority are into minning etc; have had a quote of around $350-00 Aust each ; seems a bit on the exy side to me; what would you think; Ronscorpio :confused:

Realgun

Commander

I wonder if all the tilt trim leakdown issues stem from using tilt/trim fluid in the two part Chrylsler/Force trim units. I am now using 30wt non-detergent oil and mine has stopped leaking down so far. I got this from the Seloc manual.<br />The new Foce made with a 1 part tilt/trim are Merc and need that type.

rikkiron

Cadet

ok! Realgun ; the oil that you are using ; and the leakdown problem has stopped; would that oil be of a thicker consistancy ??? ; and the pump handles it OK ; If so I may try it ; as I do not have a money tree growing in my backyard; if it works that will be great; and if it do"snt ; well nothing gained nothing lost ; the damage is already done ; suppose it can only get better; thanks Ronscorpio :eek:

rikkiron

Cadet

Hi ! Realgun just had a look at your project ; hell man what a job ; bet you felt rather sick when you first uncovered everything ; but it looks good now ; you need a pat on the back mate ; bloody good job ; well done ; will keep looking for updates ; and will get some picks of my Carrabean 18footer to show you ; I maintain she has nice lines Just like Shania Twain Ha Ha catch ya Ronscorpio ;) ;)

Realgun

Commander

Thx Ron<br />I noticed no difference in the noise the motor makes or the speed it moves. I was just reading the manual and came up with the 30wt non-detergent oil but, would have tried tilt/trim fluid if I had not really paid attention.<br /><br />The newer Foce units that have a single ram are actually Merc units and use Tilt/trim fluid.

rikkiron

Cadet

Hi Realgun; Sorry to bother you again would you have any idea on how to bleed the Hydrolics on the Chrysler 130; in the tilt ram area ; my problem is that the motor is down and I can not lift it even though the pump is working; have topped the oil level up ; but maintain that there is an air lock in there ; A== how can I lift the motor manually; so I can move the boat on the trailer; B== Then how do I bleed the systme to exspell the air as I add the new oil; as you most probally have guessed I am not a geniuse when it comes to mechanical stuff;any help would be appreciated Thanks Ron Scorpio

Realgun

Commander

I reazlly don't know, you might need a manual. I know or was told there is a nut, bolt, or screw that you release to move the motor in this situation but do not know where it is. kinda like in a hydrolic jack to get the vehicle down. Or in your case up!<br /><br />When you add oil the manual states do it in the down position then you are to add oil to be level with the hole.

papacan

Cadet

I do not know about marine tilt sys't, but here are my thoughts. If the sys't isn't desighed for higher viscosity oils,it might only be a bandaid fix.norm'l hyd oil is 10-15wt,if 30wt works it might mean the seals and or o'rings are bad or worn. You might try a bearing house for your seals & o'rings,they norm'l carry them,& cheaper than hyd. shops!. Also check & see if there is a control valve in the system,norm'l between the pump & rams,they have check valves in them,one might be stuck? If this is a one way cyl.,power up only,you should be able to loosen the hose at the cyl,so you don't get a air lock,and raise the motor manualy,if it's a two way,loosen the return end of the cyl. you should be able to bleed air by running the cyl.all the way in one direction until bottomed out,loosen the hose at the cyl.,carefully,&check for air. I don't know if i'm close,but it might give you a idea of two!

Realgun

Commander

Papacan the MANUAL states 30 wt non-detergent clear enough?<br /><br />Then it goes on to state you need tilt/trim fluid in the single ram system which means Mercury.<br /><br />I don't know nor care what wt it is. But my tilt has two rams.

rikkiron

Cadet

Hi ! To All; Thanks for your help and ideas; managed to get the raise and tilt rams to opperate; by telling God all about it a couple of times ; and in general just trying anything; After getting the motor up ;put in the traveling bar; hooked her on to the wagon; and took her straight to the yard ; she is now up for sale on consignment ; was getting to many head aches; and no fun ; ; many thanks ; Ronscorpio